1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Trying to turn really old tower into a web-server

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Faulk_Wulf, 20 Jan 2010.

1. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

I have an old Gateway tower, year 2000. 600mhz CPU, 192mb ram, 6gb HD, ???-watt power supply. This tower ran Win98 originally and Windows XP Home with the extra RAM.

I went to format the hard drive, no problem. I go to load Ubuntu to begin turning it into a web-server. It'll get to about the part where you go to set the time zone/region. It'll hour glass and then eventually lock up.

Thinking Ubuntu took too many resources, I tried Ubuntu Server. No luck. So I tried to reload XP, and no luck there either. Someone suggested that the CD-ROM isn't fast enough to do the install, but that doesn't explain why XP won't reinstall.

I have a 52x CD-ROM in my current tower, IDE. I could try stuffing that in the old tower if someone knows it would work. I honestly don't want to arse with that idea until I know it'd work though.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If this tower isn't suitable for this situation, what would be?

2. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Try the other IDE CD-ROM there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Could also be fault hardware, I have a PC somewhere which is a bit flaky on the installed OS, but won't every get through the install of a new OS

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

To be honest with you, its probably easier to get the free VMware Server and run a virtual OS as a webserver on your PC. I'm betting your main rig has plenty of spare capacity its not usually using.

Granted you'd have to leave your PC on for this solution.

4. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Slightly different scenario, but when i've installed ubuntu and kubuntu on my netbook they always seem to hang on that screen. takes about 30min, then the install moves on. I was installing from a usb stick. I dont know why it does it, but even my netbooks faster than the dinosaur you're trying to install it on, so it might just be a matter of waiting for it...