1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News TSMC 16nm to hit volume production this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

"It will be the highest performance technology amongst all available 16 and 14nm technologies in 2014. This progress is well ahead of Samsung," Liu boasted.

How does that relate to Intel's 14 nm process (to be used for Broadwell)?

3. rollo

rollo Modder

No clue, Rumours around though that Apple paid mega bucks to buy out alot of the early production.

Maxwell will likely be the first gpu released under the process.

4. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Eh...I'm not buying it. They're just now ramping up production of 20nm, and they expect us to believe they're jumping right to 16nm for volume production this year?

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've heard and read their process' vary between "14-20nm". I'm not sure the specifics as TSMC itself is very tight with real info.

6. Eriol

Eriol What's a Dremel?

AFAIK 16 nm FinFET isn't actually 16 nm, but just 20 nm with FinFET. It's actually on a similar level with Intel's 22 nm Tri-Gate. Intel is way ahead in the process tech game.

If you're a pessimist it seems like 16 nm FinFet is the first process you'll get any decent benefit over the current 28 nm as far as GPU's are concerned. And if the first production is SoC only and we'll have to wait until late 2015 before getting it in GPUs we're in for a long wait before we see anything better than the 780 Ti.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's the one! :clap:

+rep you.

And yes - there's a process difference between making tiny ARM chips and ~10Bn transistor GPUs.

EDIT: Rep button disappeared??

Tags: Add Tags