1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Tumble dryer repair?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 13 Dec 2013.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

A bit of a random one folks.

My tumble dryer has recently died - no power at all. I figure I'd have a quick go at diagnosing the issue and possibly performing a self-repair before I throw it and get a new one.

I identified that there was a burnt resistor on the control board and replaced it only for it to immediately blow again upon switching back on, which I mostly expected, and that's where my appliance repair expertise stops. I have no idea what to poke at next or what to look for everything passes a visual inspection. Un-scientifically tracing the resistor back to the mains suggests it could be an issue either elsewhere on the control board or with the condenser, but everything passes a visual inspection.

Major replacement parts aren't likely to be terribly economical, I cracked it open in hope of finding something relatively innocuous I could sort out myself (and feel like a hero whilst saving £300 odd)

Any suggestions from any individuals in business of fixing things like this (or any other business for that matter) would be more than welcome and rewarded with cookies (and perhaps more if they can save me buying a new dryer!)

Answers on a postcard!

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I suspect it's an overloaded resistor due to the heating elements getting tired. You can pick up replacement elements for pennies on the pound.

3. Mister_Tad

Popped out the heating element and had a look, doesn't look especially tired, but then I don't have a clue what a tired heating element looks like.

I replaced the resistor again and fired up the dryer with the element removed and it still popped instantly though - which to me either suggests that it's not the heating element causing the issue, or the dryer doesn't like being fired up without a heating element.

Would disconnecting all of the different bits inside the dryer and plugging in one by one and switching on each time be a valid diagnostic technique?

You can tell I'm a bit of a pro at this electronics lark, can't you :lol:

EDIT: Just checked and the heating element assembly is £66, but not in stock anyway, and google doesn't have any alternatives for that PN http://shop.zanussi.co.uk/product/1257532448/1400+++800+Watt+Tumble+Dryer+Heating+Element+-+240+Volt

Might be the end of the road - does anyone fancy a possibly easily fixable but possibly broken further by my own hand condenser dryer?

4. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Are none of the motors stalled?

Otherwise - not enough information. some photos would help (preferably not blurry, both sides of PCB).
    Disconnecting different bits could help, unless the board was designed in a way, that it blows up if something is disconnected.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

With regards to the heating element, you can pick them up for ~£12 as a generic element. Since were dealing with white goods here.

Hmm I had money on a duff element, that resistor shouldn't have popped..

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Surely there's not much more to a tumble dryer than a heating element and control board?

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Sounds like you need a new super hero......

Introducing
    [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't help myself

8. Mister_Tad

Nope, don't seem to be. I detected at the last switch on a bit of a burning smell around the compressor though.

Not sure this qualifies as a generic element, looks fairly esoteric to me, with my admittedly limited heating element expertise - http://www.buyspares.co.uk/product....ign=products&gclid=CPWw5KmYsrsCFSIFwwodeVQAYQ

A bit more to a condenser dryer apparently.

My mrs has put a stop to any further notion of tumble dryer repair now :/
    I've been informed we're ordering this, unless I want to start doing all of the laundry (I do not)

Well that escalated quickly...

9. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I've had Samsung dryers on 3 different continents, 2 different voltages, both tumble and condenser; you can't go wrong.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looks like a nice bit of kit, not as cheap as repair mind!

11. Mister_Tad

Seems there's actually some very sound maths in the choice - calculations suggest that a £2-300 B rated dryer would be false economy, and would cost some £100/year more to run than a £600 A++ rated dryer.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Use a brick.

13. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Oddly enough, Photonic Induction ( the guy in the video ) does electrical repairs for a living, including industrial & domestic washers & driers. Might wanna contact him on youtube ( Photonvids ) just in case...

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Oh a condenser drier, I thought you had a bog standard hot air and blast out a hose feed in the wall kinda drier.

Yeah you're boned. Enjoy the new one.