1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turandot. aka Shipping Case PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by 486hawk, 22 Oct 2003.

1. coorz

coorz Miffed

i see it's the AMD version, that has a better bolting construction than the P4 edition, that one'a little shakey (literally).
    I've seen very low profile CPU coolers made for rackmount enclosures, can't recall where though :(

BTW my 7000Cu weighs 773g, when you hold it in your hands and install it on top of that little CPU surface with just two screws, you'd think twice before moving the case!

2. Bust_A_Cap

Bust_A_Cap What's a Dremel?

Yeah i can't see the pics except for that one...do you have this md posted someplace else so that i could see the pics? This case looks like it would be really cool to see...hint..hint....yeah from what i've read it sounds awesome and actually useful istead of just looking cool!?!?!?!?

3. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

No this is the only place that everything is posted to I am looking into solutions for this problem. It looks like about 5% of people that this can’t get to my host for some reason.

I have found a heat sink that I may be getting in a few days. The Alpha PAL8045U . I will most likely replace the stock 80mm fan with something with more airflow.
    I have reorganized my truespace model and added a few things like the face plate.
    [​IMG]
    Zap has given me an idea of making the cd rom angle out instead of flipping up. My original idea was to have the cd rom point to the front but I may have cables in this area where the eject mechanism would be. My best option would be to make it point to the side as shown in the pic below.
    In front of the cd rom will be air holes with fans, behind the cd rom near the hinge will be where my power plug will be and a cable way to the lid. There will be fan holes above the CPU and video card's fan. The io panel, which has yet to be planed, will be in the front.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Jan 2004
  4. coorz

coorz Miffed

Here's a low-profile cooler you might consider http://www.akasa.com.tw/akasa/coolers/ak350/ak350.htm

'Produced entirely from copper the Akasa AK-350 offers great performance for a tight situation - designed with rackmount servers in mind this will fit in almost every situation.
    - Fan Speed 5,000 RPM
    - Air Flow 21.5 CFM
    - Noise 36 dBA
    - Dimensions 60 X 60 X 25mm (25mm height includes 10mm fan)'

that's verrry loow, and dead cheap! for a better low-profile fan there's the Zalman OP-1 fan, might need a 60>80mm fan adapter though.

5. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

Well we had a problem. :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

I flipped the bars around where the bolts are now hidden and I get this.
    [​IMG]
    The front is a little low compared to the back this will need to be recut. The existing bar is .75"x.5" the new bar will be cut from .75"x.75" bar.
    [​IMG]
    I did order the Alpha along with some memory both should arrive Thursday.

coorz: that is a nice heatsink. The Alpha will get outside air so height should not be a problem.

The uploadit pics I had look to be missing, I will fix that tomorrow morning.

6. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

I have finally recut that front bar and attached it. This should fix the bars not being high enough to rise over the video card.
    [​IMG]

It sits higher in the case than the last bar. And is at the same level as the back.
    [​IMG]

The cross pieces will be bolted whenever I find the right placement.
    [​IMG]

My order did come in Friday
    Corsair XMS 400Mhz DDR mmmm.... pretty...
    [​IMG]

And the Alpha PAL8045U
    [​IMG]
    The bottom of the Alpha looks like it had just been milled and not smooth I may need to polish this later before installation. I did notice that in the instructions that came with the Alpha that the fan they show is set to suck air outside the heatsink. I wonder if that matters any...

I should be able to speed up on the updates now that my fiancé is back at school. I want to get this back into playable condition.

7. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

My alpha came milled-looking too. It's fine.

Besides, polish only fills the gaps with polish. Not copper.

And you did take off the protective cover of the... uh. White thingy? :lol: I forget the name.

But the Alpha's a great sink. Keeps my 1.83 1700+ at 36 at load with a Coolermaster white LED at 7v.

8. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

I have not installed it yet. When I said polish I meant sanding.

9. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Ah. Lemme know how that goes then.

I really wanna see this project done. I love every picture so far.

Something about cramming something like a PC into such a tight area amazes me, and I love to do it and show it off. Or when people like you do it better and show it off to me :D :rock:

10. TetarZ

TetarZ What's a Dremel?

Actually he meant lapping...

11. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

Installation
    No I did not lap it, I did not have any fine-grained sandpaper, although I might later...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much better the card is under where the faceplate will go
    [​IMG]

Dad came home and decided to eat where I was working.....
    [​IMG]

Parts!
    [​IMG]

Yes that slim cd rom is running lidless. I want to make this thing top load. Top loading will allow me to mount this easier otherwise I would need to angle it out side the case. There is a single switch in the back of the drive that senses when the drive is closed I should be able to hack this....The eject button is needed to tell windows when the disk is removed and trigger a solenoid to push the tray out. I did have the drive running just with my finger holding the switch when you release the switch the cd stops spinning and windows farts....
    [​IMG]

Its insides....
    [​IMG]

The little switch...
    [​IMG]

Running again.
    [​IMG]

12. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Aw man would a lidless CD rom be cool.

Can't wait to see that :rock:

13. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

i had an idea for a case something like that, but until i get the funds to do it, its on hold. may i make one suggestion, try and incorporate small desktop speakers into the top casing, and put a thin sheet of plexiglass or aluminum to cover the monitor, speakers, and empty space so its smooth and clean.
    how about mounting the cd-rom drive at an angle facing the front of the case, then covering everthing, in a sheet of aluminum or plexi, with screws in each corner so it is easily removable.

14. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

I have been thinking about speakers inside this case on the sides of the flat panel. Right now I am working on a circuit that will allow me to add this later. I have an audio jack ripped off an old mb that is switched so it would turn off the speakers when headphones are plugged in.
    The empty spaces around the flat panel will be covered although I plan on sanding the angle bar frame a little before I do...
    Mounting the cd rom at an angle is an option that I have been looking at, zap suggested that to me about a few weeks ago, but I am not sure how much space there is from where the faceplate is and where the flat panel is. In this picture you can see that I have the cd angled to the side, it is resting on a scrap piece of angle bar. It is facing the side and not the front I was going to use that space in front to plug a cable in and this would interfere with the cd drive. I need to start looking at methods of mounting this. Top loading the drive seems more likely to work and it would look cool and mean less height to worry about.
    [​IMG]

Everything inside the case will be covered with a plate to keep things from falling in and messing something up... but my one problem with this is hiding the cables going to the lid I am looking at using some split loom tubing to keep thing looking neat...

I may be on the verge of breaking off one of the arms that hold the lid upright. I have been bending it away from the heatsink when the box is closed and now it is loose. I need to go to home depot sometime this weekend to look around at hinges and stuff to think about what to do about this.

15. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

you could use something like this rather than split loom
    [​IMG]
    i personally think it will look better if u use it, possibley paint it black
    u can buy it at home depot

basically u attach it to the lid, but you dont attach it to the bottom rather just have a hole large enough so it can slide in/out

Last edited: 24 Jan 2004
    486hawk likes this.
  16. Fraggster

Fraggster What's a Dremel?

17. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

Planning...
    [​IMG]

Part of IO panel
    [​IMG]

Cross bars in place.
    [​IMG]

Still a rat nest but better than before.
    [​IMG]

A few changes here the flat panel control has been moved to the front of the frame. The frame has also been modified to let the panel sit closer to the front. And the frame itself has also felt the pain of a steel brush. Unfortunately I also added a few scratches to my lcd protector, this will need to be recut. :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

A close up of the cross frame.
    [​IMG]

The power supply has had its input power plug relocated and ready to be mounted.
    [​IMG]

The plug.
    [​IMG]

Where the plug had been now there is a hole that needs to be plugged so the fan will still work right. I may add another fan here at a later time.
    [​IMG]

Where the audio panel will be.
    [​IMG]

The cd...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

How the drive ejects the head moved towards the outside and latches with the white bar. Then the head moves back to the center with the lever attached which releases the latch.
    The red marked part will be removed so the cd will stay locked while the switch marked also in red will be relocated to sense a lid over the whole drive. More to come on this later....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1st time modder
    That conduit looks to be steel spiral, that stuff is a bitch to push wire through but I do like the way it looks. I have not thought of using that. At work I have seen vinyl-covered conduit that might slide through a hole easer than the steel spiral. I will go to home depot today and have a look around. Thanks.

18. lizard.boy

lizard.boy What's a Dremel?

i like it. :D
    just an idea why not put the plastic front panel back on your new metal frame fro the lcd and pu the origonal foam from that case back in around it so that it look like the lcd was shipped in that case while it is running. do you catch what i'm saying? it would make the top look cool and you could hide you cables in the foam.

19. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

Pipe! 55¢ per foot. 1" outside diameter
    [​IMG]

Looks to fit.
    [​IMG]

Looks like I will need custom cabling to fit in this. I will need video, power, and audio.
    [​IMG]

That’s not going to work as expected. The pipe has a minimum-bending radius of about 4".
    [​IMG]

Better?
    [​IMG]

What it would look like.
    [​IMG]

A side view.
    [​IMG]

I should be able to make a small box out of some angle bar. The conduit should slide with ease through the box. One end would have screw to act like a setscrew to hold one end firm. Both boxes would need to be able to twist on one axis so the lid can close.
    [​IMG]

lizard.boy: I don’t think the original plastic frame would fit the lcd now my frame is a bit bigger. I do like the foam bit I might try that later, cover all the open spaces with a thin cut of the foam.

20. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

I had a similar problem wiring cables to a lid. My solution was to buy 3/8" black tubing and stuff a wire from a hanger through the black tubbing along with all other wires. The hanger wire makes it very rigid, but you can still bend it to any angle you want. Could be a good alternative for you.