1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Turbulent flow ... Good or bad.?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samcat, 2 Jan 2003.

1. samcat

samcat What's a Dremel?

Got a nice Maze style waterblock (atlantis or neptune or something) thats all copper, with an acrylic top.

The acrlic top cracked the other day (xmas eve!) and pissed water all over my pc... Still works though :) Didnt fiddle with it or anything, it was fine for a few months then one day it just cracked.... Not very happy as all instructions have been followed to the letter. Bought from extremecooling in the uk or OCPC in the uk... cant remember who :blush: and cant find the receipt :eeek:

Anyway, we are going to machine an aluminum top for its not a major pain... Still VERY dissapointed though!

What I was thinking is when its open I will be able to get to the insides of the channels and could easily machine some grooves into the channels running the opposite way to the water flow to promote turbulance.

The way i figure it is that the water is flowing around these nice smooth channels fairly, erm, smoothly. So the water molecules at the edges get warm and the water in the middle doesnt get direct contact with the metal. The turbulance will stir the water around a bit and should cause more COLD water molecules to come into contact with the metal...

What do you all think? Add some channels for turbulent flow of leave alone?

We are also gonna polish it up as normal (from 500grit to 2000 grit gradually), then diamond cloth (about 5000-6000 grit equiv)ending with brasso for the mirror finish.

Cheers,
    Sam C

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

Terbulence = Good

however

Restricted Flow = Bad

theres a point inbetween thats the best trade off, but im not that good at water dynamics :blah:

3. samcat

samcat What's a Dremel?

Cool,

The block hardly affects the flow anyhow, the radiator is the bigger flow restriction (BIX micro) and is before the cpu anyhow.
    I will machine some straight grooves in around the core area of the block, and on the sides too (have access to a pretty darn posh milling machine). The rest of the block I will put a few grooves here and there to cause some turbulance (but not as much).

Cheers for now,
    Sam C

4. Lucifer

Lucifer What's a Dremel?

/adds to the list of b0rked OCPC blocks

5. samcat

samcat What's a Dremel?

Is there really that many with problems?

Has Jess (??? Is that right ???) done anything to resolve the problem?

Basically did nothing to the block and left it as it came, followed the instructions I found on the net for it (none were supplied! - how tight is it supposed to be done up? What are all the washers for? lots of unanswered questions!) and was careful as I know how fragile the perspex stuff (lucite?) is.
    It just decided to crack one day, around one of the barbs it fractured all the way out, and three other little fractures from the middle too, all very worrying!

Cya,
    Sam C

6. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

is the pump on all the time, or does it turn off with the machine if it does it might be the latent heat in the CPU causing the water inside to heat up (and attempt to expand, via the plexi top)

7. samcat

samcat What's a Dremel?

Pump is typically left running for about 5 mins after the pc is turned off.

The cpu never really topped 55oC CORE (kD7-raid).... And once its off there is no more heat buildup (as there is no MORE heat to get rid of, only whats left) so not a huge amount.

She hadnt been used in a few days when I switched her on and started using... 10 mins later I notice a dodgy water level and switch off asap (flick the power switch sat on my desk - multiway surge protector thing, left on desk for this reason, easy off if needed). Have a closer look and its a cracked block.

She doesnt get a huge amount of use anyway. maybe 1 hr per evening 5 days out of 7 and fair few hours at weekends. Never left on without me sat there.

Should I try and contact OCPC and get it sorted? or has previous experience shown that there's no point? Or small I do it all properly and if he winges get it pushed through the small claims court?

Cheers,
    Sam C

8. samcat

samcat What's a Dremel?

Oh, and if the water tries to expand it has an EASY route out, out the barb and after 4" of hose it goes straight back into the res at the top... The hose is basically flat from the block return to the res, and tends to drain back a little (to the barb and not much further) so there's plenty of room for expansion...

Sam C

Tags: