1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn off the GUI

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nikumba, 28 Oct 2007.

1. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I have a server running Ubuntu 6.06 and I use it for a Source server, however I want to just boot to a command prompt with no gui in place. But I also want to have it so I can use Samba to get at the files and telnet/ssh into the box.

Can someone tell me how to do it in simple steps

Cheers

Kimbie

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

3. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Ah thankyou for that, for the life of me I could not find those guides on the main site, but will look through them now, and go and get Xbunutu instead of Ubuntu

Cheers

4. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

If you uninstall gdm:
    Code:
    apt-get remove gdm
    It will boot into command prompt.

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

if you use the server install disk you don't even have to get rid of it in the first place and the base install is alot smaller :)
    also try debian that comes with only a bare minimum system and uses the same easy package management system.

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Or just stop it from starting at boot, as I did in the 2nd article... That way you 'could' use a GUI if required.

I agree that Debian is a better choice for servers, but it's also a bigger step for newborn Linux users. Ubuntu is great to get the feeling, and Debian can just be installed over it ;)

Tags: