1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning off and unplugging a PC?.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maniac618, 14 Sep 2004.

1. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

When I want to unplug a PC from the mains outlet in the wall, do I first have to take the power chord from the pc or can i just turn off the electricity switch on the wall?

I'm about to install a graphics card and I know I have to take the power chord out of the PSU, but before I turn off the electricity on the wall must the cable be out before then too?

Also my antec PSU has a switch should i press this to off before or after I have unplugged from the wall or taken the chord out of the PSU? help me with the correct order please! Sorry for being a n00b! :thumb:

2. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

its probly better if u switch it off at the wall or PSU and leave the cable in so u have it grounded. i have only ever destroyed hardware with the power cord unplugged

3. Maniac618

Really? The guy who did my PC kept asking for the cable to be taken out before he did anything!?!

4. dead_man

thats wat every1 says but in reality if u got static, they say ground urself 2 the case, wat happenes 2 the static? if theres no cord it goes straight 2 ur hardware. having it plugged in gives u 1 massive ground

5. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

I could agree with Dead_Man. Not all PS have the switch on the back, so I can see why the PC guy told you to unplug it. It would be easier for him to tell you that than to try to explain about the switch. However, I ususally just flip the switch on the PS, then I push the power button on the PC to make SURE there is not any power or any left in the system.

6. Maniac618

ok, if i attached myself by a anti static wristband to the side of the case i have taken off from the main case will that be ok to have the chord out then? And if i do take out the chord, should i have switched off the PSU by it's switch before doing doing that?

7. Maniac618

So i can leave the chord in if i have turned off the PSU via its switch and then test the power button for the PC, then if everything is lifeless, go ahead and install the card with the PSU switch off and the chord still in?

8. dead_man

yep go ahead, ne power surge will go straight in2 the wall now if the corrds plugged in

9. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I think in the US they don't have a ground in the wall outlet like we do (3pin vs 2 pin plugs). Might be wrong on that. I always leave the power cord in and switch the PSU off. Having said that, if your PSU doesn't have a switch, then definitely unplug it, as the motherboard always gets 5V when the PSU is on, even when the PC is off.

Although I once forgot to switch off the PSU, and installed a PCI network card, and it still works :worried:

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Or just switch it off at the mains socket if you PSU doesn't have an off switch...

CORD!!!!

Sorry that was bugging me :blush:

11. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Depends on how old the place is. The majority of wall outlets used today have 3pins, but it is not unheard of to see a 2pin plug. So yeah, if you are only connected by a 2pin plug, you need to pull the cord.

12. dead_man

hes in london

13. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I thought I have seen in previous threads, that because of leakage current in the PSU if there is no ground, the case floats at high voltage, and can shock you. Plus I've never seen 2-prong cords, unless he's using a cheater.

14. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Oh yeah :duh:

(haha)

And yeah I knew he was in london, but some the advice you may have heard about unplugging it may have come from the US...

15. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Not the cord, the plug. You can buy an adapter to use a 3pin cord on a 2pin plug. The only 2pin plug I have seen on a PC is on laptops. There are also some low power power supplies that can use 12v adapters, which are most likely 2pin.

16. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Threads like this make me worry about my gung-ho tech style. Still, I haven't killed anything yet :p

17. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Ditto. I just pull out the power cord, press the on button to be sure the PSU is discharged and change things over... I don't bother about using a grounding lead unless I'm at a clients house (makes me look more pro ;))

18. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

I don't bother with the power button, always pull the cord out, and never use an anti-static wristband. :worried:

One thing... If you turn the PSU off and leave the cord in the back, what happens? (I think it's the same as pulling the plug, but a second opinion anyone?)

- H.

19. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

safest solution - turn the power off on the wall socket leave the cord plugged in then you have cut all the power and have a ground.

20. Maniac618

ok this is what i did.

Turned the PSU switch to off. Turned off the mains switch on the wall. Took out the cord. Put in my new 6800 GT Golden Sample from Gainward, then did the steps in reverse. Everything is working.