1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning off and unplugging a PC?.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maniac618, 14 Sep 2004.

1. mushky

mushky gimme snails

nice one bro.

Next time it will be:
    Turned the PSU switch to off. Turned off the mains switch on the wall. put card in.

Then it will be:
    Turned the PSU switch to off. put card in.

Then:
    pressed off button with one hand, put card in with other.

Then:
    in it goes, wipe off spilt beer.

etc etc.

2. Maniac618

Maniac618 New Member

3. hilmana

hilmana New Member

well usually i just shut down turn off the psu from the back and pull out the plug from the psu and nothing ever happend
    even me bro and me friend do the same

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

ROFL :lol:

5. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

99% of the time i leave the cable pluged in, psu/wall switch turned on, have never killed any hardware from it...... not the recomended way of doing things :)

have hot swaped memory before by mistake, just forgot the pc was on, somehow missed the spinning heat sink fan, everything still worked fine.

6. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Occasionally I bother to unplug/switch off PSU, or poke a radiator if I can be bothered. My experiences at work (nothing dies from static electricity/arcing/discharge, basically) have numbed me to the dangers - poking capacitors to discharge them is also in my repertoire :worried:

So yes, always switch off the PSU, and at the wall, but leave it plugged in for grounding purposes, and wear two anti-static footstraps and two wristbands, along with a funny mesh-lined overall. Or something.

;)

7. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Member

I love it when you plug in a card and it makes the board start to boot! :worried: :hehe:

8. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Well most of my computer building is done when I'm barefoot on tiles. I think I'm fairly grounded :)

Though right now my PC is running in pieces on my desk because I'm too lazy to put it back into it's case. When my floppy threw an error I just unplugged it without switching off the power before shorting the reset pins on my mobo with a screwdriver :D When you've nearly snapped your mobo (and have small pieces missing around some of the mounting holes) you don't worry too much about static dischange :D