1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Turning up the heat on GPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 Aug 2009.

1. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'll have to remember that, thanks.

2. leslie

leslie Just me!

I recommend APC. They usually have better line conditioning and (much) longer lasting batteries than others. I have had some that barely lasted a year while my APC's lasted several. Also while some will claim lightening protection, APC has a much more standard/higher lightening rating.

A cheap ups is exactly that, cheap.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Thanks! Just making sure +rep.

4. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

my 4870x2s thermal design is bad. very bad.
    u basically have two choices, either running the fan at speeds that makes ur case move slowly forward, or water cooling.
    im still at figuring out the third solution, getting efficient quiet airflow going, but just using and aftermarket aircooler so far has been a huge mistake, letting my vrm temps rise above 140 !!! degrees...

5. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

The only card I recall that had a problem was an x1650xt. That card was a beast but it got so hot it would cause crashes very often. Usually hitting 100C within minutes of loading up Oblivion. The only option was to take off the side panel and point a fan in the case while gaming.

Had a MX4000 fail on me but I had a huge overclock on it so that was more my fault...

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Yeah strangely all the X1k.05 cards ran a bit hotter.

The X1550(from the X1300), the X1650, and the X1950s. Good times though, I had an X1550 almost explode on me, it literally was hot enough to burn your hands.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the 8800gtx (g80) ran hot as a stove.. you could heat up a room in no time- made all the cards before that seem like shaved ice makers

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I can't speak for any of the 1x50 cards other than the X1950XTX... but that ran a lot cooler (and a lot quieter!) than my X1900XT. It idled around 5*C cooler than the 1900XT, and ran about 12*C cooler loaded... but it was their top-end card, and the first of ATi's favoured cooler style that didn't sound like a leafblower even at idle...

Tags: Add Tags