1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V TV Discolouration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maki43, 8 Apr 2004.

1. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

Think my tv is busted :(

My Sony Wega has discolouration at the top left corner of the screen. Its green, not that noticable in movies, but its still there.

I thought it might need de-gauzing but it doesnt seem to have that function on the menu.

Should i take it back or could it be something else?

Ill post some pics of it soon.

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

May be a dumb question, but is there ANYTHING near the tv that may have a magnet? A clock radio? Anything that has moving parts and is electrical?

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Umm, yeah, I'm going to agree with Dad here, ANY MAGNET period will cause green disscolouration in any tv/crt screen. So, move anything and everything away from the tv as is possable, and see if the disscolouration goes away, then slowly add things back untill you see the greeness again, and then you'll know what is causing it.

4. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

yes probably magnetic interference,
    check that your contrast is not set to some crazy high level either

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I used to have a Wega, and it had the same symptoms as yours. Whilst the usual cause for this is (as the other guys have said) magnetic interference. However it doesn't have to be anything electrical or magnetic that can do this. Any large piece of metal can have a similar effect (such as a radiator).

In my case it wasn't. The engineer couldn't find a reason at all for the staining on the screen. The tube was replaced under warranty, but it also showed the same effect (but in a slightly different place). Deguassing wands where used to try and clear it to no avail. In the end I couldn't stand it any longer and I sold it.

One thing the engineer did tell me is that on early wega's there was a problem with the inbuilt degauss circuits (I.e they didn't work due to a missing component). Mine wasn't one of them, but maybe yours could be?

6. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

My brother had his Wega replaced by comet because it had discolourisation.. then he sold his old one to his mate who didn't mind :)

My tosh gets it occasionally, especially if I pause a DVD, or in the menus. If theres a bright patch it will either stay green or purple for a bit and will then dissapear.

7. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

Thanks for all the replies :)

There isnt anything near that could cause it im afraid. The nearest radiadotr is a couple of meters away and it probablywouldnt affect the top left corner if it was affecting it.

Ive also noticed another bad patch down the right side. Its like a very faint shade of brown :eyebrow:

I could only take some pics of the tv with my phone so they rnt too good, infact only one really shows it:

[​IMG]

8. unrealrocks

unrealrocks What's a Dremel?

M8 - do you have a tape head demagnatiser, if so - get it and put it close to the screen, that'll clear up your problems unless somethings gone totally wrong with the screen.