1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Tv-outs......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pertek, 3 Nov 2003.

1. pertek

pertek New Member

alo, last time i used a tv-out was on my diamond riva tnt!!! and back then it had a black boarder around the whole picture.

So how are the tv-outs now. the main thing i'd want is for there to be no bloody black boarder and be able to use the tv-out in hardware, as in i could see the boot screen! Do any of the current cards need drivers or will the tv out work just as a monitor.

Want to make a media box for me tv, haed my eye onl the Asus a7n8x-vm but god knows where you can get the tv-out daugter card.

thx :thumb:

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It depends on the TV chips.

TV tool is useful for nvidia based cards. I swear by ATi cards and their rage theatre chipsets ("old" version was great, but the new "20"? version on the R300 upwards is meant to be even better although i havent tried it yet), but people also like the connextent (sp?) chipsets cause they are also good quality. The latest philips SAE08's are just as good, but NOT the 04's. I generally tend to stay away from philips chips altogether after bad experiences with crappy images.

You should get the boot screen and everything if its setup correctly, if you leave it plugged in it will but sometimes on first boot you may need a monitor to enable and tweak the TV out in windows first.

TV still can only display 640x480 or 800x600 at best and arent good for reading text - thatll never change unless you use a HDTV. There are no boxes though and the quality of the better chips is generally as good as any TV program.

3. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

I know our RCA HD has a DVI in, so booyah :rock:

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

******* :p

5. Darkside

Darkside New Member

Using an ATI AIW card, quite oldish, and that's great, but my 9500 Radeon TV-out is even better. Can deffo vouch for the quality.

Darkside.

6. myke

myke New Member

Another vote for ATI. I've got a Radeon 9000 (PCI!!). I used radeontweaker to turn on the overscan and ***bang*** bye bye black borders, hello quality. The text is clear and dvd's excellent.

7. pertek

pertek New Member

thx guys

8. stephen2002

stephen2002 New Member

On my laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce4GO 440 the drivers actually have a zoom option so that you can shift the image around on the TV out in order to eliminate the black borders. Before that I had been using TVTool. The quality of video seemed good to me, obviosly you can't read text because of the TVs low resolution.

9. Ozma

Ozma New Member

i'm using an msi k7n2g-l, nforce mobo with tv out on board an it's great... no boarders, no flicker colours are ok.

not as good as my pci aiw tho...

Tags: