1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V TV tuner card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BA_13, 4 Jul 2018.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Member

Does anyone have any recommendations on which PCIE TV tuner card (DVB) is any good, based on their own experience please?

Mike

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I’ve got a InfiniTV which is decent, but it seems to suffer from signal variation or perhaps I just have a bad card... it was secondhand after all.

I need to grab another to test my theory, but it’s not bad enough to put me off using it just yet.

3. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Member

I've been pretty happy with Compro and Blackgold internal TV cards I've used over the last 11 years - however Compro have exited the market and Blackgold cards tend to be expensive and iirc don't come with software.

Blackgold PCTV cards are still available - their triple tuner DVB-T2 card is £109 (price from their online shop). Card only, no software for the card so you'll need MCE if you're on Win7, I'd go with Media Portal if you're on Win10 - drivers from their website (no DVD in the box from memory).

Generally speaking Hauppauge are the way to go but I never went with them myself, despite their being around for years before I started looking at TV cards 10 years ago. They're probably the best bet but I can't vouch for them myself - however they have a quad DVB-T2 PCI-E card for around £100 - with software if you need it.

There's also TBS who make cards with coax passthrough - but that apparently only works if the card is powered (i.e. the computer is on) which imo beats the point (you can try S3/S4/S5 suspend modes but I've never had any success getting them to work).

Triple/Quad tuner cards tend to need supremely good signal though - I've never got my quad card to behave as I'd like thanks to the signal not being ideal - the dual-tuner card I'm using is far less sensitive and works with poorer signal (though it still isn't as good as just plugging the same cable directly into my TV).

Hope that helps

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

Why do people insist on changing text colour to black manually? Makes posts unreadable on the dark skin.

adidan likes this.
  5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Who did that? XD

6. BA_13

BA_13 Member

Thanks for the advice went with a Hauppauge unit as it seems to tick all the boxes and can be delivered before my PC gets packed up to travel.

7. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Member

I didn't, at least not knowingly. And I wasn't aware of a dark theme either.

adidan likes this.
  8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I've a DVBSky-s2 card that works well however getting TV guide, Kodi and the Tuner backend to work together was time consuming especially as it was my first time playing with everything and I didn't go the Media centre route.

I recently picked up a Hauppauge USB T2 tuner for Plex DVR support. Installed drivers, clicked a few buttons in plex and everything worked. I believe they have PCI-e cards but they where double the price and overkill for basically an experiment and what I wanted to achieve. While I don't have direct experience with the PCI-e card but based on the USB results I would recommend one especially if going the plex route.