1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Twin-Pump Setups...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaulW, 9 Mar 2004.

1. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Not true,

Two pumps in series effectively creates one pump with the same max gpm but double the max head. Two pumps in parallel creates an effective pump with the same max head as one of the pumps but double the max flow.

It all depends how restrictive the setup is and what pumps you are using as to which will give you the best performance.

In MOST cases with most setups, the SERIAL option will give better performance.

@PaulW,

I would also suggest running the two pumps either side of the heatercore.

Running a pump into a res can sometimes sap performance.

8-ball

2. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 What's a Dremel?

If your really aiming for the looped setup then i suggest you read through this article over at ProCooling.com. Project 'double header 3' is quite old now but the principle can be adapted for the same use as your suggesting. Running independent loops is the only way if you want to do it right.

Also that diagram you have drawn shows the outs from the NB and GFX blocks mixing with the out from the CPU radiator, which would cause the water coming from that rad to rise in temp when it crosses with the hot stuff coming from the NB and GFX blocks. Like i say independent is the way to go if you really wanna go all out.

Personally i just use an Eheim 1250 and some manifolds right now, but one day when i have the cash i'll get round to doing a triple loop setup like double header i hope.

3. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Ditto that, Finaly someone else who knows what they are talking about :rolleyes: :thumb:

4. God_Of_Death

God_Of_Death What's a Dremel?

by series you mean pump--->pump-->ect ect ect? :confused:

5. slater

Yeh series is is when the pump is plumbed one after the other as oppose to paralell where they are plumbed side by side so half the water geos through one and half through the other.

series results in a large pressure (max head) increse but the parallel results in a max flow increse

Its like comparing a pump with 1000lph maxflow and 5m max head with a pump with 500lph flow and 10m head. the pump with less flow will win because the max head/pressure is more important in this kind of restrictive setup:)

:thumb:

6. God_Of_Death

cool. no it makes perfect sense :thumb:

7. pauldenton

pauldenton What's a Dremel?

which is precisely why series is (usually) better for watercooling - particularly with high head pumps like the D4 ... best not to have them adjacent in the loop...

of course whether 1 pump or 2 is better is a seperate question - depends whether the added heat from the second pump is compensated for by an increased effeciency in the block due to the higher flow the 2 pumps can push through the loop than 1 pump would...

8. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Don't forget the radiator as well. Increasing the flow rate will most likely increase the efficiency of the heat transfer from the coolant to the air.

8-ball

9. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Well have ordered the 2 pumps today, so should be here tomorrow!

Slater - I've adjusted quite a few bits now, the cpu block is a 1-in, 2-out design now, and the pumps will be 1 right before the hcore & the other straight after, so in series like suggested (and also cause for a few arguments!)

Still need to finish off the design for the waterblock & decide what thickness tubing to go for, someone said to me use 10/8mm tubing... bit thin I think!

10. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Your restriction will likely be in the blocks, not the tubing. So size isn't too important.

11. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

mostly true, however all components in the system add restriction, blocks, tubing, res, barbs, tees, etc, etc. the idea being to minimize the restriction where it isn't needed (larger tubing, no 90deg fittings or tees) in order to improve the flow rate in the system so one can still use more restrictive blocks ala WW or RBX to get better heat transfer where its needed. back ontopic, if the two pumps are in series, you also get the added benifit of some redundancy (provided they aren't closed impellers like the MPC600)

12. slater

Yeh Zog is right. I would not go any smaller than 1/2"id tubing anywhere and possibly go for 5/8" or 3/4" in some parts of the system. Im planning to use 3/4" tubing in my new system when i can find some (cheaply) got some barbs but cant find good 3/4" tubing where i can buy in in lengths under 30m! The most importent place to use large tubing is between pump and res to ensure he pump intake is not restricted

Show us a digram when your done :thumb:

13. pauldenton

not by much though (once you reach a reasonable flow anyway - and one D4'd be more than enough for that...) - it's airflow that they're really sensitive to...

14. pauldenton

what kind of price are you looking at? i suspect you could successfuly sell some on (even if only in 1ft lengths fot the pump intake...) if the price isn't too bad...

15. slater

Yeh i may well be doing something like that in the near future (looking into setting up a small buisness when i finish collage in may)

Cant remember the price off the top of my head but im thinking for 30m of 3/4 Tygon it would be £100ish. i will have a look in the catalog 2moz

I mean 1/2 tygon sells for £2.50 a foot in some places so £3-4 a meter wont exactly break the bank

16. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

It's far from little!!

[​IMG]

Height = 7.75"
    Length = 7.5"
    Width = 2"
    it dwarfs a 120mm fan!
    ;)

Oh and the 2 pumps have arrived :rock:

[​IMG]

Also ordered copper to get the custom waterblock made up (but its now 1-in, 2-out design) Prototype out of acrylic has been made up & it fits nicely to the mounting holes on the motherboard :D

17. God_Of_Death

it took me for ever to find this thread again. :dremel:

18. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

I've changed it a bit for now (due to time & money issues)

I also thought 10ft of tubing would be enough, but it aint :hehe: so ordered another 6 ft.

Going...

Res > Pump 1 > H/Core > Pump 2 > CPU > Chipset > Res

I will add another loop in if I get time, but atm I'm finding it hard to get funds to buy a new GFX card & HDD, so its all gone **** up :(

Tags: