1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twinmos CH5 memory timings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sbarts, 6 Dec 2004.

1. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Hi

I'm new to this overclocking thing, I've recently bought 2 sticks of the Twinmos memory and was hoping to tweak the memory timings. They currently run in dual channel mode and was wondering if the timings have to be set slightly lower than if in single channel mode?

Thanks for your help

2. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

run the timings as low as you can for a marginal increase in performance. You should try to run them at a fast FSB in sync with the processor for best results. The only way your going to find out how tight, far you can push them is by experimenting. FWIW my twinmos CH5 run at 215 (430) with the timings of 2.5-3-3-8 with Vdim set to 2.9 in my bios (actually is more than 3v according to 8rvda).

3. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: It's up to you if you want to risk that nice RAM by forcing extra voltage through it, I'd suggest seeing what it can do at (or very near) stock voltage. Most RAM is designed to take a little extra voltage, some need it just to run at the rated speed. I take it you're using DDR400-PC3200 with standard timings at 400mhz of 2.5-3-3? You may find 2.0-2-2 is possible but the only way is to lower it gradually and see. The fourth number may go as low as 5 but it's often better higher, at least on nForce2, 11 was often the optimum setting. Rem you need to take extreme care when o/c'ing RAM as it can cause you a world of pain, 1 error in 1 million IS significant here. To check stability run Memtest86+ AND boot into Windows and do some stressing with things like Prime95 & WinRAR. Using Dual Channel should in itself lower latency a little, there's no need to run lower just because you are or aren't using Dual Channel. The perf boost varies, AMD benefit more from low latency than P4, the diff can be around 5% in a few things which is actually very good for a little tweaking.

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Firstly depends if you are running AMD or Intel as Autsin said. If AMD, then push for tight timings. If you can only achieve 2,2,2,x @ say 200 fsb it'll be faster than 2.5,3,3,x at 210-15. CH5 can respond nicely to voltage, so if you can feed then 2.9+v then do so. HOWEVER they can reach a brick wall voltage wise, above which you wont see any improvements, so just have a play and see how yours react.
    Have some OCZ CH5, running 233 2.5,2,2,11 on 3.0v atm, they run fine up to ~ 240 same timings, but not totally stable (tho this seems due to cpu/mobo rather than ram) However played with some TwinMos based CH5 which struggled to get to 220 fsb 2.5,3,3,11 with 3v.... Its a matter of finding out what your specific sticks run.

5. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

The sticks I have are rated 2-3-2-6, I am running them 2-3-2-5 at 200MHz at 2.7V, haven't tried 2-2-2-x yet but think it's unlikely. I can get them up to around 218-220MHz at 2-3-2-5 with 2.9V but can't seem to get higher than this. Loosening timings to 2.5-4-4-11 did not help at all. Had my old xms2700 up to 233MHz on these loose timings.

6. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all that info. I am running an athlon chip so I believe tighter timings are better than higher FSB. I'll have a play tonight. If I lower the timings will I still need to higher the voltage or does that just apply to increases in the FSB?

7. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) There's no guarantees but generally raising voltage will enable either or both methods of o/c'ing your RAM.

8. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Thanks again for all your replies. It's been very helpful.