1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Twitter cans SMS service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I still can't believe that anyone cares about every minute thing that I'm doing. Hell, I don't even care about every minute thing that I'm doing...

3. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

What on earth is Twitter?

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

As pointless as most people reckon Twitter is....

You're not serious right?

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I also have no idea what Twitter is

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I am deadly serious.

7. Tyrmot

Tyrmot New Member

+1

8. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I recently switched over to Plurk instead, the Twitter Fail Whale was driving me nuts. I much prefer the way you can have threaded conversations with Plurk and I don't need to see replies to messages I don't care about.

I should add I've never bothered with the Twitter SMS service. It's easier for me to load the mobile page, I couldn't get TwitterBerry to work properly.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2008
  9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Twitter seems to be a collection of remarks posted to your own twitter mini-website from a mobile/laptop/internet connection so that other people can read them. They mostly tie into answers or remarks to/from other peoples' twitters, but sometimes it's very random indeed.

10. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

...I wikipediad twitter, read the explanation and still don't understand what ist's supposed to be...

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it also surprises me that Americans pay for the sms they receive.... that is weird and strange.

12. Hex

The Twitter website explains it best. It's basically a micro-blogging service. You know those status updates on FaceBook and MySpace? Well it's pretty much that, but it's been going a lot longer and is surprisingly popular. I know a lot of people poo-hoo it as they don't care what anyone else is doing, but when you have a group of friends who all use one of these services it can be very useful and provide you with amusement during the boring working day :)

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My new day job uses it, as a matter of fact - a way of giving outsiders an insight into the company culture, or some such marketing shpiel.

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Never heard of it untill now and dont really get it :wallbash:

15. Anakha

Anakha Member

Here in Canada, on Rogers, I don't have to pay for incoming SMSs. I do have to pay $0.15 a pop to send, however.

Oh, and Twitter doesn't work sending to Rogers SMS, the text messages never reach my phone. Though sending a text to 21212 posts on Twitter just fine.

And, stupidly, using the mobile twitter WAP interface from Rogers won't allow you to send tweets. I get "Web: No connection" when trying to post from my S60 Nokia (Though I can browse the twitter site just fine).

16. -EVRE-

-EVRE- New Member

back when analog service was the only service around .. that was back in 1997.... we still had a better calling plan for cost per minute.. the mobile phone companies are raping us over the coals for service.

SMS should be nearly free, the current networks are more than capable of handling the traffic across them in my area.

at present with Verizon it costs $.20 to send or receive a text message, also it costs $1.99 per mb of traffic.. O.O well.. I wonder how many txt messages can be sent inside of 1mb. Also for $60 a month you can have mobile web that actually has decent speeds, of about 50k a second and has a cap of 5gb of transfer a month.

Do the math 5gb for $60 or 1kb for $.20 its Bull $417 and the phone companies know it.

17. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd New Member

Everything relating to mobile phones in the US is designed to make you hate your life, paying for unsolicited messages from companies and people you don't know or ever want to hear from is only the tip of the iceberg.

18. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

So like MIRC untill that went out of fashion ;-)
    Cant have been any good, after all, 't was free!

Errr, if I remember correctly, SMS usage developed very different in the US and Europe.
    US had (rather) cheap cellphone charges, so people called and didn't bother to use SMS. (which is why motorola phones were pisspoor at SMS for a long time)
    Europe had very high cellphone charges and SMS was for free, so people started breaking their fingers...and it became a habit.
    (now 1 min Talking is about the cost of one SMS, so it's not really economical anymore)

I franakly prefer SMS for many reasons, mostly beeing able to think before you're required to answer. :D

If I'd have to pay for people SMSing me, I'd have it disabled though.

19. Hex

You mean IRC, not mIRC ;) and some of us are still on IRC every day :thumb:

20. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

You're right of course. mIRC is just a Programm to use IRC...and play IRC-battle-tetris :-D

Tags: Add Tags