1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Two decades of innovation and we still get sore fingers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

Also have to give serious credit to the Fuzion V2. My first water cooling experience on my first ever computer build and it worked like a charm. It made me wonder why everyone is so scared of water cooling.

The best parts are fairly common knowledge (just ask anyone in the know), it is hardly rocket science to put together, and most importantly, it''s fun. Not only that, but a fully loaded, overclocked by over 150MHz (on both the core and memory) 4870X2 at less than 50c is a sight to behold.

3. Saivert

Saivert New Member

Also many people install water cooling because they believe it will always yield lower temperatures. This isn't the case. There are many decent air-coolers out there that rival the best water-cooling setups. The ambient temperature stays the same regardless. If you want to really cool your computer look into phase change cooling.

The best reason to go with water cooling is to reduce the amount of fans in your case. Having two large fans instead of say 5 will reduce noise a lot. Let the cooled water circulate through all the hot spots and bring the heat out of your case.

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

Yeah the FuZion V2 is awesome, I'd highly recommend the Pro Mount to any V1 users too.

@Saivert, it's true you'll never be able to cool a CPU below ambient with water-cooling but with substancial overclocks, unless you use a Vantec Tornado, you'll never beat a high end water-cooling setup with plenty of headroom with air cooling. Certainly not in the small toasty room my PC's in at home anyway! But I agree, it won't always lead to lower temperatures, especially if everything's at stock speed.

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

No, there really aren't. High end water cooling will only ever be beaten by phase change and LN2/DI.

Low end water cooling can, and often is, beaten by high end air cooling, but high end water is in a league of its own in comparison.

6. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Starting to go to LAN's and not wanting to carry the weight kept me from going for watercooling.
    I only wanted it for silence anyway...but I had big troubles finding a website doing comparison of watercooling components that would compare the noise of pumps.

Nowadays aircooling can be pretty silent as well.

Anyway...you're right, the poor pushpin design for coolers is a joke. Likewise is having to push on a (slippery) feather or bar with a screwdriver where you're likely to slip and pierce your motherboard. Demounting is often even worse.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2009
  7. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

i always thought when choosing watercooling, never buy off-the-shelf kit. always fork out that extra cash and extra time to build your own.

Tags: Add Tags