1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Two guys, a pipe and a potato!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by LaPPe, 7 Aug 2002.

1. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

post em up here, let's see it

2. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

dont have any pics right now but i will go take some tomorrow. ill take shots of the one im working on right now too.

3. Team_bravo

Team_bravo What's a Dremel?

Humm a Spud gun just the thing to encurige my brother to leave my pc alone :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. m00min

m00min What's a Dremel?

you call that a spud gun, this is a spud gun ;)

i too enjoy firing spuds at high speeds, the first one I built exploded in an accident with too much butane :eeek: so no pics, below is the second and third spud guns

this was the second spud gun i built basically the same as Lappe's

[​IMG]

so called the mkII, has an impressive range about 500m i should think, and now the big guns...

[​IMG]

here we see the mkIII, it is basically a 5 gallon beer keg with a 2" calibre we can get this one to fire a good 750m + and it makes a hell of a bang.

but there is a cost to this, I have burnt the flesh off my index finger and have a permanent scar :/, also a friend burn his face but that was his own fault, he put his head in it

oh here something to give you a sense of scale....
    [​IMG]

love m00min:D

5. M3NT4L

M3NT4L What's a Dremel?

i always used to wrap the pipe in duct tape or even masking tape, so that if it does explode the peices hold 2gether or at the very least slow it down heaps javascript:smilie(':dude:')

6. LaPPe

LaPPe What's a Dremel?

they (we all do) hold it to their thighs...

7. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

bah.. you guys call them spud guns? :D

heres mine.. the black and blue "dark avenger" is mine.. the ignitor is a flick type lighter from a lantern.. all pipe is sched 40 pvc..
    the gun
    [​IMG]
    the ignitor
    [​IMG]

-scoob8000

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

well

well , i just got back from the hardware store

I had this fire extingusher (damn thats a difficult word .. probebly spelled wrong ...) , well , the bottle of it .. its steel and pretty thick .. i'm gonna use that as the .. thing for the explosion

and then iron tubing for the patato

i'll post some pics in a minute of the stuff I bought

but I had a problem

the "wire" of the bottle is some speciale wire that u cant find a normal hardware store (in sanitair departments) , so they guy sed i had to go a special store but that would cost me euro's !! and i didnt like that , cuz my amount of money for this project is 7euro's 40cent

I spended 4euro's 16 cent so far

I'll take pics in a minute upload them , and come back ,

I do have some welding to do .. drilling some holls .. and I have 3euro's and a bit change left for a barbecue igniter, dunno where i'm gonna find that though ...

brb

9. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

imagine the pain if it could back fire :x

10. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Ahhhh... potato cannons, joy joy.... I built me an interesting little gun before. I got a hold of some Inch and a half copper tubing and soldered an end cap on it and a reducer to the regular half inch you'd find in your house, I then put on a tee joint and a high pressure valve. On the other end of the tee I placed a... um whats it called a pressure indicator... Fill the inch and a half blob about two thirds with water, close the valve and plug the end with a bit of potato. Get a blow torch to heat the blob untl theres sufficiend pressure and dump the valve!! pop! That's when I got a taste for a bit more :)

I got 3" copper tubing and an end cap... reduced it to Inch thick copper and plumbed on a motorised valve, then reduced it again to half inch... No pressure gauge was needed this time as the valve was self dumping. This time the chamber was strengthened by metal straps and big bolts and a proper burner was placed on the chamber and another line from the burner was taken to the tip of the gun where there were two burners. (all will be explained) For safety a non return valve was plumbed on the gas line. This is an outside toy only!!!!

This time the chamber was filled with a water/petrol mix :) the valve was closed and the pressure set, the burners at both the tip of the gun and the chamber were lit and left to burn :) Then all that was left to do was to retire back to a safe distance. IE The other side of the field! After a good 5 or so minutes the dumping pressure on the motorized valve is released, first there's an almighty pop as the potato becomes airborn then the burners at the tip light the petrol in an almighty mushroom cloud of flame and steam, Its a bit weird because the steam spreads the petrol a bit more but retards the flame slightly at the same time! It was an awsome sight in the dark, that was until the valve eventually gave up. (well i did salvage it from an old pressurised chamber.)

Nice fun toy... but deadly dangerous... It's good to have a father who owns a plumbing & heating business & an uncle with a farm!

11. Lovah

ARGGGG , I already posted what i'm about to post , but for some reason I was signed out ... then i signed in again , and then it sed " no thread specified"

I HATE THAT

so here goes again , not so good though , cuz i'm sick of it

I'm making a Metal spud gun , that can take high presure

I'm using a old fire extinguisher from a ford car
    here it is

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I bought some stuff
    here it is
    (4.16euro's worth of iron tubing and stuff)
    [​IMG]

thats 1 pipe with wire on it
    1 90° connect thing with wire IN it

and 1 thing that has already been modded , cuz I didnt wanna wait

close ups from the last thing
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

it has the same wire on bouth side's , but on one side I already glued a chrome circle on it

why , you are probebly wondering (if your reading anyway)
    cuz the wire inside the tankwhole
    [​IMG]

isnt normal sanitair wire ... so I would have had to buy a expensive piece of material .. and I dont have the money to do that

so ... the ghetto way it is

I glued them togheter , so they fit over the whole ..

now I just gotta weld or glue it on/in the tank

this is how it will look
    [​IMG]

now

The only thing I didnt found yet , is the igniter ... I need the kind of igniter with a button , 2 wires , where there is spark between ...

then I would drill 4 whole's (2 times 2) in the tank

for a double igniter inside the tank

how it will work ?

first put a patoto or something else in the pipe (with the 90° thing on it)

then just spray some fuel (axe or WD40 or hair spray or a gas)
    in this
    [​IMG]

then quickly put on the 90° corner piece(with the pipe) , and secure it tightly

then just aim , and press the igniter button

and 800|v|

the only problem is puttong it the pipe fast ...

I think I'm gonna try to get a 2 piece that I can close for it

yeah , i'm gonna get that .. tomorrow !

here is how it would look all togheter , ready to fire (imagine the igniter already on it ...)

[​IMG]

so , what do you guys think ?

(the advantages of this spud gun are :

it cant melt ... it cant explode (like pvc ...)

its easy portable
    small ...
    can stand high presure

and its cheap

and I'm making it

lol

12. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

looks good but how r u gonna get the gas in without making a hole that it can escape thru? looks good otherwise

13. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

yo-

i made the ultimate gun. can load yourself, made outta pvc, WILL NOT EXPLODE..

1- the "joints" where you glue together are all screw'd together with like 1\4" screws.
    2- has a trigger on it. (grill ignighter) click the button and it sparks inside
    3- has a U design the combustion chamber faces AWAY form the shooter so the end wont blow your head off if it does explode
    4- there is a handle where the trigger is, and the wires are inside this, they go up to two large LAG BOLTS about 4" long with the 2 spark wires attached and creat a "spark plug" type contraption
    5- the whole gun is about 5 feet long (10 feet if it was just a long gun instead of a U)
    6- the hairspray does not have to be injected at the end of the combustion chamber, rather at the middle! there is a screw open hole in the side of the chamber that allows for easy acces while injecting the fuel.
    7- using a very small screw, at the end of the barrel i attached a "sight" so i can aim it.
    8- the potato only goes in a certian distance because of a screw blocking the barrel, it is screwd in at the base acting as a sight for the sight at the end

this beast weighs like 10lbs and can fit the loading stick INSIDE the barrel, and the end can be screwd off and the hari spray can fit in the combustion chamber. all you have to do is carry the gun\potatoes. this thing can shoot about 150-200 YARDS. imagine 2 (american) football feilds with accuarcy, thats a freggin distance.

heres one little story for ya-

my friend mark and I are gonna go shoot the spud-guns out onto this river about 30 yards wide or so, when we spot a huge-ass swan floating down stream... mark FLIPS out, and loads his cannon as fast as he can, by now the swan is about 100 yards from us down the river (we are on a dock) and he aims, and shoots that freggin potato- the wind carrys it low to the water and to the left (tward the swan)... it lands in the water about 5 feet away from the swan (by now its 125 yards away) .. we are heartbroken because the spud didnt hit, but the swan (all cool style) slowly turns back, like he was about to say- what the HELL was that?! then he swims off-

now seriously- in america, these "spud cannons" are NOT ILLIGEAL, they do not contain gunpowder, therefore it is not considered a firearm. these things (if made right) can blow your freggin head off. be careful if you are gonna make one- and dont shoot in in a freakin NEIGHBOREHOOD your PSYCOS! jesus.

have fun tho =D... when i get my gun from marks house (my friend) ill post a pic.. maybe

14. Lovah

Bugy ,

the 90° angle is gonna be replaced by a T piece

so the top of the T will be able to open up , then I just have to spray inside true the T piece inside the tank

pretty simple , but I think extremely effective

15. Lovah

In wish store can I find

these

[​IMG]

thats the only part i'm missing before I can start Spudding :)

16. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

thats just a peizio ignitor for a gas grill.. anyone that sells stuff for bbq grills (kmart, walmart, etc) should have em..

17. linear

linear Minimodder

This thread is off-topic, but I'm digging it, so let it roll. I wanna see more spud guns. Anyone ever used clear PVC?

18. Lovah

linear , I think clear PVC would be kind a expensive ...

well at least if u use plexi ...

well uhm

I found my igniter

it was HARD TO FIND !

I went to the stock vermeersh ( a HUGE store where they have just about EVERYTHING , but that , they didnt have)

then I went to 2 "do it self" shops .. didnt have it

then I found a Specialized store for gas and sanitair and kitchen stuff ... and they had it

they had 2 of them ... 1 cost 19.99euro

the other 9.80euro (I took this one)

but its a HELL OF A IGNITER

I had a accident with it already..

I wired it up .. and putted the wires to the wire of my webcam thats laying around her

it sparked from wire to wire

and I was just about to login my mial acount , an dit was typing all strange things then it shutted down

but when I restarted my computer

the programs I had already activated were still active

strange .. really strange

I'm gonna try if my webcam still works ..

the sparks go from 1 wire to the other , untill about 3/4 inch away from eachother

cool dude :)

I bought the T piece and the stop aswell

this weekend : making my spud gun

I'll start a thread just about mine then ... -grin-;)