1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Two questions for networking gurus...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Digitalblueshift, 15 Apr 2002.

1. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

one i think I know the answer to and the other I have no Idea.

I run a home network through a hub and I was wondering after recently aquiring several computers can I: Plug all of my compters ito one hub and then connect that hub to my central one without any grief?

I aquired two sun sparc 1+ workstations I believe they were designed to run as terminals and off of a central server( they have no HD's) The only ports I can see to network them are two parallel ports or a 16 pin serial port(active) They, as well as my new dual p1 have an external scsi connector, what can I do with that? Can I set them up to communicate with my main rig, or through a hub?

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

dunno about the second question but with your first one if what you wanna do is connect two hubs wat u gotta do is connect port 1 of your secondary hub to the uplink port of the primary hub....ussually the last port with a switch to choose between normal and uplink....

3. batsman

batsman the quiet one

i think you need to connect them using a crossover cable as well, but i'm nnot sure about that.

4. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

just wanted to be sure, My hub has an uplink, which functions like a crossover cable, switches a couple of the wires to delineate the different hubs. I discovered this when I was trying to get a switching linksys hub to act a s a router, little did I know we needed a router... Oh well theres a first time for everthing.

I got to playing around with my dualie and I discovered the thing that I thought was a serial port has a sticker that looks like what they have place below the cat 5 jack, it must be an ethernet connector. It looks like a joystick port, anybody know how to network with them(I know they are really old but hey you cant dog it for $5) is it just the same as cat 5 with a diffrerent kind of hub, or can it be daisychained? As you can see im prety cluless to the old protocalls, and have limited knowledge of todays.

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

a normal cable will do the job between two hubs.....

Tags: