1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Type of paint to use on a laptop case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by draxar, 13 Jun 2011.

1. draxar

draxar What's a Dremel?

I have a new Dell Precision M6600. I want to personalise it. Being a graphic designer with a penchant for typography, I'd like to have text all over it (haven't yet decided exactly what).

However, I'm not sure what the best type of paint will be for staying on, not getting too dirty, not rubbing off, not causing problems with the computer (though the fact I'm only planning to put it on the top of the case should help with that). Apparently the case is "Aluminum and magnesium alloy".

Any suggestions? Spray paint might make my life easier, for making a stencil and getting the text on, but pot paint is viable too, as it's also stencilable, just slower and easier to mess up.

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Plasticote- they have self etching primerless sprays in alot of colours which would be suitable, minimal prep work required ( just clean the case as directed and apply the paint with the stencil ).

Check ebay for best prices and range of colours :)

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Normally the casings isn't bare Magnesium alloy. They are either coated with paint or have plastic on the outside. That dell seems to be painted. Most acrylic-based spray paints should work just fine. It's not the most durable type of paint, but it shouldn't be much weaker than the original paint. If you want the paint slightly more durable, and to make the edges of the paint feel smoother you could add a layer of clear coat over the entire back cover. Try and find some clear coat that matches the texture of the rest of the computer. (Gloss, semi-gloss or matte)

4. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Yeah being a laptop I highly recommend you clear coat over any design since it'll be subjected to alot of wear & tear.