1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Ubiquiti Unifi security camera advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sentinel-R1, 1 Jun 2020.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If any of you have experience with this subject, I'd be glad to pick your brains.

I'm currently using a Unifi setup at home, comprising of:

USG
    Cloud Key
    2x US-8 150W switches
    3x APs

I'd like to add home security to this setup, but unsure of the optimal price/performance setup.

If any of you can advise me whether to add the Unifi NVR and keep my existing hardware or change out to the Cloud Key G2, and also what cameras are good enough for home security without going overboard?

I need to cover the driveway up to the house (about 8m from gate to garage), the rear of the property and the side gate, so three all in.

Any help greatly appreciated. I don't mind spending but reluctant to spend unnecessarily over what is required to achieve the aim.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The Cloudkey Gen2+ would be perfect for you & covers the NVR aspect (for a lot cheaper than the NVR).

I usually use the UVC-G3-AF outdoors (with the optional IR ring for larger areas) as they are a bit more flexible for pointing in the right direction.
    THe G3 Flex is a really good camera for the money & might work (wider FOV, smaller footprint but slightly more limited with placement).

I've got both G3-AF's & G3-Flex outside my property and they've been fine for ages

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Thanks for that. Question about the Flex cameras, if I mounted one to a wall, so the camera sticks out at 90 degrees, can you reorient the video as if the camera was mounted vertically? Can you also angle the FOV up or down, in conjunction with the rotation ability?

Trying to find possible outdoor mounting locations.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Can you actually load Protect on the UVC-NVR? My impression was that this will end in a perpetual state of "considered for a future release". Being restricted to the old Unifi Video would be the biggest issue with the old NVR. I have yet to sell my UVC-NVR, so getting the upgrade would probably be a nice bonus to bump the resale up a bit there when I get around to it.

Or were you talking about the upcoming new model of NVR?

@Sentinel-R1 - note the distinction between Unifi Video (old) and Unifi Protect (new)
    The G3 and later cameras will work on either system, but the UVC-NVR has no real future. Video will be maintained for quite some time I'm sure, but new and fun bells and whistles will land in Protect. Protect is actually somewhat integrated into the Unifi ecosystem whereas Video was not.

Before you buy three G3 cameras, consider as well that they've been around for a while, and the G4 Pro is already available, which might suggest that standard G4s aren't far off - so if there's no immediate pressing need, and it sounds like there's not, waiting might not be the worst idea.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2020
    Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Cheers Mr T. It’s not an immediate project but certainly before winter this year.

I’ve just been watching reviews of the UDM Pro, which could really streamline my installation and give me all the features I need at the same time.

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

G4 flex is next I believe. But won't be as cheap.
    UDM line is also due another model (black) and there's a new firewall only model coming (USG-Pro-4 replacement)

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

The Flex and AF cameras seem to use the same sensor, so stand fast the night vision capability, is there any notable difference in image quality?

8. Mister_Tad

The store would suggest that a G4 bullet is next for GA.

I'd have really liked to see a two disk variant of the UDM-Pro, given that there's clear space inside. Can see with the upcoming standalone NVR why a standalone network-only UDM makes more sense. That said I take any Ubiquiti futures chatter with a giant bucket of salt up until the point something actually appears in EA.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Quality is very good on both. Slightly different lenses on them, the flex is more wide angle (like the dome) than the G3.
    The G3 also allows for sideways mounting (although not sure why you would), the Flex is not.

I used Flex's for all the internal cameras during my last office fit-out. I used G3's outside only as I needed the IR ring to cover the whole carpark & garden, for the smaller areas the flex would have been fine.

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

That’s really useful information, thank you! I think one G3 and two Flex should cover the arcs I need to surveil.

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I may well have some unused ones spare (I've got far too much Unifi kit sitting around), I'll take a look if you like

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

That’ll be magic, thank you! If you do, let me know and we’ll work the rest out.

13. Mister_Tad

I have an unused G3 bullet going spare as well - I planned to install it, and when we decided to look at moving, so now I almost certainly won't bother

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Great stuff! When both of you have the time to sort (no rush!), let me know in here and I’ll start a wanted thread to keep it all above board.

15. saspro

saspro IT monkey

As thought.
    1x G3-AF (new in box)
    2x Flex (New but not in the boxes as they were in a multipack and I needed the space)

& a few domes & lightly used G3's

16. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

17. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Oi! Knob off! :grin:

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Sent you a quick PM before wanted thread gets created.

19. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

:p

At least i said you get first dibs! :p

Sentinel-R1 likes this.