1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft introduces new online DRM system

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jan 2010.

1. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

well that's sales lost from me for being idiots

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Ridiculous statement. I moved house not that long ago and had to wait almost 3 weeks for the phone/broadband companies to get their respective acts together. If I couldn't have played any of my games in that time I'd have been pretty pissed off about it.

In any case *I* don't like this idea and I've never pirated a game in my life (well since I had Doom copied over 6 3.5 floppies at least) so I can't help but feel that proves the lie of your statement. It's not just a question of the practicalities anyway - there is the principal to consider. Yes, my gaming PC is always connected to the internet. Does it follow that I therefore don't mind my games phoning home every time I want to play one? - No, in fact it doesn't.

Anyways, the simple truth is that consumers are going to have to vote with their wallet on this one, ubisoft won't be making any money off of me at least while they're using this.

3. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

"At the moment, if you release the PC version, essentially what you're doing is letting people have a free version that they rip off instead of a purchased version. Piracy's basically killing PC," he said.

Yes because no one ever pirates xbox 360 games...

4. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Yeah, this is definately a good idea. Rather than look for ways to reward subscribers / buyers, they've gone ahead and forced everybody to be watched always. So what does this mean, if you don't have an internet connection, no games for you, or if you have a spastic connection, you're going to have the game keep crashing? Yeah, this is a great idea.

It's just going to be cracked, just like everything else is. The big problem is that piracy isn't something you can really defeat. Game releases will be cracked, DLC will be pirated, and MMOs will get private servers. You're just going to lose customers by punishing them

5. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Thank god, games I'm looking forward to play are not published by Ubisoft!!! Especially Thief 4...

6. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

"patches will be rolled out if Ubisoft is forced to abandon the servers"

Because when your company is being liquidated and you are 2 days away from the unemployment line, the first thing on your mind is those poor games that are now obsolete.

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Piracy is a huge problem for PC devs, and I appreciate that companies have to do something to protect their games from being ripped off. While this system does seem a little draconian, there are benefits (cloud saves etc). WHile I'm sure release groups will find a way around it messing about with local host etc is a whole lot more difficult than copying a crack or the like, and the key here is making piracy more difficult. If only an advanced user can Pirate a game, they'll invariably get more sales.

I personally really like the route EA and Bioware have taken, downsizing the copy protection but giving users significant advantages to actually buying and registering the game. Hopefully it's working for them when it comes to sales too - Dragon Age seemed to sell very well on PC.

8. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

wasnt there an article posted here the other day which said "The decade the pc fights back"? yeah, i would remove that to. dont want more people seeing just how wrong you were. great start to new pc gaming decade eh?

9. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

If it stops developers/publishers abandoning the PC as a platform to make games on ... then screw the haters.

You can't one minute be complaining about PC games being ports from consoles and then cry when a publisher tries to protect its IP.

10. FreQ

FreQ What's a Dremel?

This sucks. It's the same old punish those that actually buy the game whilst the pirates hack the game and have no such problems! Do you trust a Ubisoft server with your save game? What if it goes down, or gets corrupted? What if after 2 years Ubisoft decide the game is obsolete and they close the servers down (it's all about the bottom line) - can you get your save back? Can you even play?

Quite. So if I dislike the Toyota Prius, it means I can't obey the speed limit and drive everywhere with my pants on fire?

A few people have already mentioned it and I'll add my voice to it - Steam is brilliant. Don't go against it Ubisoft because frankly, you can't do as good a job. Just put your games on Steam and be happy. More people will want to buy your games and you'll get mental sales figures in the regular Steam Sale events.

11. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Oh dear Ubisoft. Looks like you've lost another customer. Not that I've bought any of their games since Far Cry 2 and that was a serious disappointment.

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Tell that to my steam games list mate....

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Correct, and of course they make the pirated copies much more attractive :rolleyes:

14. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

It looks like I won't be buying any more Ubi Soft games, for sure.

I don't care how good the game is - I don't want anything to do with it.

It's things like this that drive up piracy rates.

This is worse than SecuROM and all other DRM put together.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

this was always comming, Pc market is fueled by pirate activity like it or not. Only Steam has developed a workable closed system.

my internet is on 24/7 id guess 99% of the people on this site have a net connection 24/7. bandwidth limits in this day and age lol? get a better isp. ( BE has no limits)

Steams system granted works but it isnt entirely closed. Ubis system makes piracy 100* harder to achieve. As unless you can disable the code you could never bypass it which is the point. Also you couldnt save.

I dunno im all for it in the long term. Piracy is a major issue on the 360 and wii as well ( funny thing is it helps sell consoles) ps3 which has no piracy at all ( may change soon but i dout it bluray disks + 50gb game downloads wont start in the uk any time soon)

pretty much buy all pc games via steam or direct 2 drive either way.

16. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, every other application that doesn't work through strict firewalls :wallbash:

17. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

This is set up on a collusion course for epic fail.

Did they really think that the pirates were this weak?

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

All it's doing is continually phoning home while you play to validate. How much bandwidth can this really use? I'd bet that even on a broadband line with a ludicrously low cap (e.g. a 3G dongle with a 500MB/month limit) and playing the game 16 hours a day 7 days a week, the amount of bandwidth consumed would be so insignificant it would make no noticeable difference to your overall usage.

19. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Ubisoft games are rubbish anyway, just another reason to buy something else.

20. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I know lots people say they won't buy a game cos of a certain DRM, but if this goes ahead I really won't be buying any Ubi games in the future. A crap connection shared between 2 home PCs isn't workable as it is, so this has no chance.

Tags: Add Tags