1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft reactivating some fraudulent Far Cry 4 keys

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Feb 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'll have to keep an eye on my account to see if my copy re-appears as I was playing it for a few days before it suddenly vanished, it'll be interesting if it does get returned as I have since had a full refund from the store front where I purchased my copy.

Hopefully I'll get to boot up the game again as I was just getting into the core of the plot...

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

wonder if something similar will happen with the unlawfully bought football manager that appeared on my account until I had it removed/refunded

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I wonder if Ubi had ended up losing the money back to a credit card company. If so, then I can't actually argue with their initial actions.

P

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Given the story so far, I would assume that EA is the one who most directly lost money, then they went to Ubisoft with a big long list of contraband keys and between them they hashed out what to do next.

Either way, it's hard to see what else they could do with software keys that were obtained by fraud beyond deactivating them all.

6. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Decent universal pricing. A download has no reason to be around twice the price of a physical copy.

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

i think EA in the investigation found out something that could potentially get get them into hot water.. ala maybe deleting some users games that was not fraudulent or the 3rd party fought back to say their keys were legit and or a loophole where an american could sue due to doubt.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Ubisoft were right to do what they did in the first place. Whether it's a used car, a game key or a tin of Spam, if you buy stolen goods, they do not belong to you. Caveat emptor.

Couldn't agree more.

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I don't think anyone here disagrees that them deactivating the games was wrong, the issue most of us had was that they took action with with absolutely no communication... It would have taken zero effort for them to send a mass generic message to all accounts registered on UPlay to give a vague idea of what was going to happen.

There were people on a few forums stating that they were resellers themselves who bought bulk copies of the retail boxes and sold the keys via third party websites, so there definitely could have been the issue of Ubisoft & EA accidentally doing a mass target on the third parties and not properly taking into account the legitimate codes.

Another possibility is rather than making a huge case out of the whole situation that could take many months to get resolved with very little financial return, they may have preferred the option of taking the projected loss on the profits on some of the titles and hope that the media circus gets forgotten enough by the time their next big thing is on the verge of release.
    After a year of near colossal screw-ups, I'm not sure if Ubisoft think they can afford to not try get a few positive opinions back through some good will.

I guess it'll all remain speculation as we'll likely never know the full story of why they chose to re-activate the games.