1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft's DRM servers go down, games unplayable

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Mar 2010.

1. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

While Valve and Steam have helped, they really are overpriced. Games should be cheaper via digital distribution, yet I see a game on Steam for €50, and then I walk into my local Gamestop or Game and it's anywhere from €10-€20 cheaper (latest AvP for example was only €35 in Game).

Valve need to bring their prices more inline with high street stores, at least when it comes to Euro pricing.

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Steam has to solve its pricing policy.
    Games, outside of those with a 33%+ off, are too expensive.

3. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I also have to agree with 'some' of what Arguer24_7 says. A lot of PC gamers (more than on any other platform) have a seriously warped and screwed up mentality when it comes to the idea of paying for games. It doesn't matter how rich they are or whether they have just spent £2000 on new PC hardware, far too many don't want to pay for their games and keep the game developers in business.

The common attitude is: "I'll pirate this new game and then see if I like it."

The publishers only care about numbers that they can read. So every time a cracked game is downloaded, the piracy figures increase and the publishers then panic and create even more terrible forms of DRM.

I'm not saying the game publishers have the correct mentality, but it's inevitable what will happen as piracy figures increase.

I believe that if you don't like a certain game (or publisher) then do not buy their game AND do not pirate it also.

Also, don't touch their game on ANY platform.

What's the point in protesting about Ubisoft's new evil DRM but then buying the game on console? The console sales still go to Ubi. The PC DRM still remains in place.

I hope the Ubisoft server fail continues, only because of how bad this particular form of DRM is.

4. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

PC users also cant rent games from shops, and cant lend games to their friends. demos arent always made, so how am i supposed to sample a game before i buy?

someone who pirates a PC game wasnt going to be a customer anyway, so its not a sale lost.

5. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

If you're refering to me I bought it second hand (as mentioned) so Ubisoft aren’t really benefiting too much are they.

Anyway that's beside the point which is the DRM on the PC is awful and I have every right to protest against it, just because I don't agree with it on the PC doesn’t mean I don't want to play the game itself - I'm not about to cut my nose off to spite my face.

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Do you not see a bit of a conundrum there? How is the PC buyer, who usually doesn't play on friends' computers like consolites might, and cannot readily be 'lent' a game by a friend like a console player can, to know what games he will "like"? Demos are the first answer, but in the absence of a demo, what exactly are you basing your buying decisions based upon other than the secondhand experiences of reviewers? Though I'm not blameless, I've only pirated one game in the last 6 years - GTA IV, which I bought the following day - and that has probably stopped me buying a few other games I might well have liked simply because I won't pay £25+ for something I've not had the opportunity to try. I don't pirate, they don't have a demo - I don't try their game and I won't buy it. That's a lost sale for sure.

7. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Mar 2010
  8. Warrior24_7

When you're the only game in town then you charge what you want! They've built themselves a monopoly and "you" helped them do it!!! Now they're overcharging you...thank you very much! Also, you must keep in mind what Valve must go thru to get the game on Steam in the first place, the publisher must get their cut, Valve gets their cut, any rights or exclusive rights must be paid for as well. I don't know, but the price is reflecting maybe?

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yet, in defence of Steam, you can take up their bandwidth downloading GBs and GBs of data whenever you want, on whatever PC you want. It's not like iTunes that requires authenticated devices (imagine only allowing your Steam account on up to 3 authenticated PCs, and it needs to be reauthed or deauthed when you upgrade) or EA Store that only lets you download the game so many times within a set time period.

You get to pre-load the games at your own pace, and play them exactly when the game launches (more or less) - no trip to the shops, no waiting for the postman.

If you don't like the price then wait until it comes down, but at the end of the day it costs what it costs because that's what it costs. Software has a value just like the considerably more expensive hardware you buy. ;)

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Which for me is either a 20 or 50 mile round trip. The bike is okay with that but being Cornwall, you're likely to get stuck behind a tractor or rained on. Download is preferable, even if it costs a few quid more.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

pc'c are not the only platform where games are cracked hacked and stolen, consoles also suffer from pirated games, anyone who thinks its limited to a pc is a moron, and i wouldn't say it is less prevelant on consoles, because we all know it isn't.

just dont buy a second hand xbox360 on fleebay

12. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Two things ubi can say about cracked versions:

1) Note wording, "no valid cracked version of either Silent Hunter 5 or Assassin’s Creed II are available". They will say only valid versions are bought ones, so there are no valid cracked ones :lol:

2) They probably say there are no cracked versions becuase they have not received any connections from illegal versions :eek:

Last edited: 9 Mar 2010
  13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I dont download.
    The old ones purchased through Steam are backed up. The new ones are bought retail from UK.
    Yeah, that would suck.
    But if Steam worked like that, it wouldn have had the earlier success it had.
    That would have made sense if prices were similar in the three Steam stores. They arent.
    When the pre-load exists.
    Got the Imperial version of NTW on March 1st for less than the regular edition of NTW would have cost me in Steam, paied 6€ for p&h and the delivery guy (since I wasnt at home) phoned me and brought the game to work.
    Paying 12€ extra for the benefit of playing the game three days earlier is not worth it.

Steam is currently an acceptable DRM system and a nice community software but it is not a viable store.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OK, so your personal situation is somewhat different to the normal Steam user, impar.

Pre-loads are often available for particularly large and popular games, and very often people download them not just register. And they still receive future updates through Steam too.

The prices are set by Publishers, not Steam. It's not Valve that controls anything other than its own games.

15. Warrior24_7

I said put away the tools, as to not injure yourself, so now you're using salt?!! My god man! Have you no dignity?!!

Starting right where you left off, with another factless, and made up statement. "Who" said that it only occurs on the PC? Point this person out Elton, in other words..."prove it"!

Since we all know that you're not good with numbers, especially adding big numbers. So 1 million sounds big to you. Well, the numbers that you're about to see will blow you little mind. This data is over 2 months old.

http://dlb-network.com/2009/12/over-5-million-copies-of-mw2-were-torrented-this-year/

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has been pirated in the PC over 4.1 million times
    The Sims 3 came in second place as most pirated games in 2009 with 3,200,000 copies
    Prototype in third with 2,350,000 torrented copies on PC
    Need for Speed SHIFT in fourth with 2,100,000 copies torrented on PC
    Street Fighter was not mentioned because they did not say what the PC's numbers were.

4 PC games, 11,750,000 million illegal downloads on the PC. Compared to 1 million on the 360? THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!! It's out-of-control!!! M$ banned 1 million players remember? Where are the PS3 numbers hmmm? EXACTLY!!! Zero!

Wii even had quite a few games torrented but New Super Mario Brothers Wii stood out with 1,150,000 pirated copies. Nintendo also sold 10 million copies in 2 months, so didn't need the money, but they made sure they took care of that dumba$$ too!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=21140

Another factless statement, the servers were attacked.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/03/09/ubi-s-drm-servers-vulnerable-to-attacks/1

You're right, you do have choice. To buy or not buy. Thats all the choice you need.

Framerate issues? The PC version is utter garbage. At first the damn game didn't even work!!! You must constantly be online to even play, you also have the white screen issue, and freezing issues. The PC version is the worst version of all by far! This whole thread exist for no other reason.

The ONLY people screwing over paying customers are the pirates. They cause prices to rise, devs to abandon the PC platform, slow or no releases dates from console ports, a lack of investment and support for the PC by the dev community, they totally ruin the multi-player game space, and invite all types of intrusive DRM to be implemented. Customers are not happy on the PC, (I'm one of them) so they move away to consoles. This is the reason why.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I do download the updates.
    You mean publishers tell Steam when and for how much Steam should offer the weekly discounts?

17. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Man the news these past few days just keeps me smiling. All the stupid **** these companies do is finally biting them!

18. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ What's a Dremel?

Steam seem to have all this wrapped up , it's strange how there doesn't seem to be a real competitor.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2010
  19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Let's see, why is this again? the DRM issue. But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. The 1st one played fine, I have it in fact, works great with AA and such on my rig.

Well you see, the server was shut down due to attacks, and it hurt the paying customers since they had to be connected to the server for the game to work. A simple online registration would suffice don't you say?

Well that's the conundrum, seeing as there's no tangible way we can really demo games, rent games, or even trade them in one wonders why..

Pretty sure you did.

I'm all for DRM, as long as it's a one shot, non intrusive sort. GTA IV didn't handle it that well, but there were decent workarounds if you didn't want the online content, most games use just a simple register your copy upon installation, and no need to be connected on a server for everything.

20. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

Not that I am defending the Steam pricing, and this isn't exactly relevant for new releases more so older titles, but one big difference between their online distribution model and a retail outlet is space. I picked up GRID on PC for all of about AU$10 in a shop because they were desperate to flog it off and clear space on the shelves for the next big title. Steam's price was easily 3 times this but then it's not like they need to clear space on their shelves so to speak.
    The thing that gets me is the discrepancy in price between regions. Borderlands was cheaper by a large margin in the US compared to Australia on launch, same with Left 4 Dead 2 (which i ended up buying on the US store so i got the uncensored version anyways). That doesn't make much sense to me.

Tags: Add Tags