1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Ubuntu Alternate Install - Blank Screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by davidbacsik, 2 Sep 2006.

1. davidbacsik

davidbacsik What's a Dremel?

I installed the Ubuntu alternate CD in OEM mode because I have a special hardware configuration that apparently doesn't work with server. After I did the command that finishes off the install and lets the "final user" configure the rest, I reboot the computer. It loads through "starting kernel log", then goes to a grey screen, then my monitor turns off like it doesn't get a signal. Any thoughts/experiences? I know this should go to the Ubuntu forum, but I thought I'd ask here first just to see what ya'll bit-techers thought.

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

First, I don't get your OEM mode thing... OEM is some licencing thing MS invented ;) And since Ubuntu is published under the GNU license... I don't quite get that.

But I guess you just did the normal desktop install.

What I would do is add the noacpi or pci=noacpi, can't reall the correct one, think it's the latter, boot options (when GRUB loads, press e, and then put "noacpi" or "pci=noacpi" at the end of the kernel line). A lot of problems are caused by this.

And what do you mean by some special hardware?

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

ATI card probably. ;)

I've tried installing 6.06 and as usual its a POS. Xserver fails on start up, so I reconfigure that using:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and then I go through and make sure I'm using the Vesa drivers. It takes me back to the command-line prompt, so I try to start the GUI using sudo startx (or startx), but my monitor just looses display.

I'm trying 5.10 now in the hopes that I can upgrade it, it seems to not use a fecking LiveCD to install itself.

On a more positive note, been trying Vista and thats very nice. :)

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Dapper64 works fine with my 9600XT, but it seems impossible to get Xgl & compiz going on 64bit with ATI cards.

5. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

OEM isnt a license, it stands for origional equipment manufacturer and refers to anything supplied pre-installed on a computer from its manufacturer. The alternate install cd instructions on all the ubuntu mirrors refer to this. I cant be any help with the actual problem tho sorry.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2006
  6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Microsoft OEM System Builder Licence

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Microsoft have an OEM license, but it is not exclusively Microsofts.

An OEM product is something designed for system builders, so if you buy an OEM copy of XP it is meant to be purchased with a new system for building, HOWEVER, that is just Microsofts OEM license conditions.

I can walk into PC world right now and pick up an OEM hard drive, an OEM CD-ROM drive or an OEM graphics card.

In the case of Hardware OEM means that it is not in retail packaging (this is more commonly referred to as White Box)

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah true, but OEM on a software level, like this, is a license. Well, anyway, it's not worth trashing this thread for it... ;)

9. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

No in this instance it is used to suggest which installation method an OEM system builder should use to install UBUNTU.

http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/ubuntu-releases/6.06/

The origional poster was entirely correct to use the term.

Tags: