1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK: Broadband tax 'to be made law'

Discussion in 'Serious' started by samkiller42, 23 Sep 2009.

1. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

Itd be fine if they actually spent the money they allocate from taxes, on what they say theyre going to spend it on - see id be all in favour for the 50p tax if it actually seriously improved broadband across britain...

but it probably wont do will it? i mean where on earth is all the money they already receive from us going?

and after reading the comments from mr meltdown, you've got to agree theres always a worry, that once that tax is there, they can change it, up the prices - rob us blind basically

2. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

You do realise that the government aren't just stuffing the extra taxes into their pockets (I know people will quote expenses etc, but in the grand scheme the actual money spent on that is irrelevant, it's the principal in that issue). Point is this, it is very expensive to run a country with this level of public services. Taxes pay for these services. Governments don't charge taxes for the hell of it. Also, if you hadn't noticed, we have a massive budget defecit at the moment. They need more money if they are going to increase services in any area, as the key word is cuts at the moment.

Point being, if they want to improve the infrastructure, which Gordon brown has clearly stated , they need to raise money somewhere. Seems like a fairly good way of doing it to me.

3. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

yeah the expenses scandal is always gunna come up i guess - it annoyed a lot of people

and i dont disagree with you - i fully understand the basic principle of a government needing money to run a country, thats how the world works, but what im saying is we live in one of the most taxed countries in the world, we are taxed on everything, from buying at the counter, to living at home, to putting petrol in at the pump.

across 70 odd million people thats an astronomical amount of money, im not complaining at the level of service we get here, we're pretty damn lucky, but im pointing out that the money is not always utilised for its intended purpose, and when it comes down to it, you shouldnt be paying for services which you might not be recieving.

If the government were a private company who you paid good money to monthly to upgrade your broadband (and i know this is just a representation) then you'd be annoyed if they didnt hold their end of the bargain.

4. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I doubt that a greater percentage of money in this country is misused or wasted here than in any other country, in fact I'd guess that we have a fairly low level of corruption compared to a lot of other countrys (Italy, anyone:worried:).

Also, people with broadband are paying money to private companies, who should have a duty to maintain and upgrade the network for the customers and to reach new customers, but this isn't happening, so the government has to step in to sort this out, and what better way than to charge a small tax that is a fraction of the cost of line rental, let alone broadband? I can't theink of one.

My final point is that the reaction to this story is not about the tax itself, in fact most people seem to think it's not too bad, but are worried about the future. This is symptomatic of the massive loss of confidence and lack of trust in the current government. That is a seperate issue, and shouldn't cloud this issue. And for all those that are worried about possible increases due to lack of trust in Brown et al, the Tories will be back in power in a few months anyway, so you needn't worry about this government raising it.

5. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

Exactly. i dont have problem with the tax as it stands, i like the idea of improved service, who doesnt?

Its the worry of continued poor delivery on promises from the government - but thats as deep into politics as this thread should go really haha - for fear of an all out political war which would lose focus on the subject of the tax.

:thumb:

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

BT have already been charged, as the principle telecoms body in this country, with improving their networks. Already they're upgrading exchanges to 21CN standards, which is costing a massive amount of money, one which a company who makes very little money as it is can't really afford without some help.

The trouble, as we've pretty much all decided, is that we can't tell if it will bring genuine improvements to the networks.

Personally I'm crossing every one of my fingers and toes hoping they'll unbundle my local loop, but that's nothing to do with this. :p

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

BT get crap profits because they provide a crap service. If they sort their operations out, the customers will come.

Given they argubly own a monopoly on the UK ADSL business and there is never any option for a competitor to enter the ADSL market or overland phone line market, BT can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

It's not fair that every landline user has to pay the "tax" even if they do not use broadband. Tax money like this shouldn't be used to support the failings of a private business without some sort of public renumeration. Percentages of the company returned to the public for example.

Loads of companies out there have tiny profit margins (BT is somewhere around 10%, give or take), yet there isn't a hope in hell they would get a tax-sourced handout so they can provide a better service.

BT is either a private company or a publically owned one. It cannot be both.