1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK Developers to get tax relief

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I think that is a brilliant idea. Maybe more games company's will open departments/offices here to take advantage of less tax. Which in turn will create more game related jobs here. There are precious few..I've looked.

3. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK New Member

About time....

4. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

From all the articles I read about the employees at developers working 16 hr days 6 days a week and then getting their bonuses and vacations taken away, I dont think I want that job, but thats probably just here in the US at EA and Activision.

5. TomH

TomH And like that... he was gone.

And like the film industry, you'll end up with so many graduating with Games Study degrees that they'll have to work 'for experience' during their first 3-5 years post-graduation.

The sad part is that even if you're really passionate about it, there's going to be 10 more layabouts that just don't know what else they'd want to study... But like playing games.

It's just the same with film now, and it'll be the same with games in 10 years (if it isn't already.)

Still, this is a positive article, which shows that something good did come of the budget. Perhaps I shouldn't be so negative about it. :)

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

There certainly was something positive: I saved £2.5K on my house purchase thanks to the new stamp duty threshold!

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Active Member

I didn't think this one was going to go through.

Despite the mixed bag, I think in general this year's budget is looking pretty good.

8. brave758

brave758 New Member

:jawdrop: No way i refuse to believe it...........

But this is something they need to follow through, make the UK a centre of excellence, promote the industry, other wise the people will just leave and it will be all for nothing.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2010
  9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

This is very true now. I'm going thru a bucketload of "experience" and internships and its not easy. The industry is very popular. But yes, be positive, it's about time this came about!

10. 1ad7

1ad7 New Member

Bailouts are never a good idea... period.

11. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Now you can put the savings towards a Premium Player system :p

12. Farfalho

Farfalho New Member

Hurray!

13. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Like the UK film industry is such a success that the Government pulled the plug on it's 'assistance' a few years ago. I mean how many UK films are profitable for Christ's sake? How many UK based production studios have closed since film industry 'assistance' began?

No, this is a f**king joke for two reasons:
    1. no matter how much financial support you provide, if the public doesn't want your product it's just an expensive (for the taxpayer) stay of execution. Look at the car industry's scrappage scheme.
    2. There's a general election coming up so this could all turn out to be much ado about nothing.

Tags: Add Tags