1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Driving Tests To Get Harder

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Springs, 4 Jan 2007.

1. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

its all good and proper making driving tests harder but i dont think theyre addressing the issues that actually cause crashes.
    Its well known that young ppl (teenagers) especially lads are more likely to crash than others, hence the stupidly high car insurance. But evidence suggests thats not down to poor driving ability, but due to more of them drinking/taking drugs and driving. duno bout anyone else but i know quite a few wo do it (idiots).

first thing my instructor said when i passed: "now you'll learn how to really drive"

And IMO, its true; the least safe drivers i know are the ones who passed first time and are still driving as if they were taking the test; it may be a way to drive but its certainly not the best way!

2. ElectricEnergy

ElectricEnergy What's a Dremel?

As important as the rules of the road are for maintaning safe conditions... I think that driver education focuses on that part of driving far too much. I mean, I went through the whole learner course thing here in Canada and I didn't learn to drive my car. I learned the rules that your supposed to follow on the roads. One of the most educational things I have ever done in terms of driving (and still do occasionally ;)) is go out to a nice big parking lot in the middle of winter nights and learn to drift. If you can master maneuvers like that, you can get out of many dangerous situations involving slippery roads.

The skills that I have developed messing around like that have saved my butt on many occasions.

I think that durring the driving education course, they should devote atleast a couple hours to car control, something similar to an autocross course maybe so that you learn exactly how the car handles under stress.

A good example of where this would help is the accident I was involved in recently. I realize that I made a mistake and got infront of a car that I shouldn't have. But I do believe that he could have avoided me if he was a little more practiced. a second before he hit me all I could see was a sideways car with his brakes locked up flying towards me.... Of course I can't complain about his driving. I'm the one who accidentally cut him off, and I can tell you I'm not going to make a mistake like that again.

Another big contributor to accidents are cars that are not well maintained. this summer I avoided a speeding BMW who blew through a stopsign in front of me by inches. I seriously doubt I would have got around him if it wasn't for my ABS, good tires and stiff suspension.

Oh yeah, people on cellphones and Old people seem to constantly try to kill me too.

Wow, long post... hope that was atleast partially understandable.

3. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

This sounds fine, but old people who haven't even taken a test need to take one aswell. Half of them are blind.