1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK government to help push faster broadband

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 19 Sep 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. wharrad

wharrad New Member

Please don't forget the upload - that's all I ask...

3. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Well thats a good sign. I apparantly have a 8Mbit connection but most speed test I do top out at around 2Mbit and the service seems to be getting worse these days with more and more outages. The other day my connection dropped to 100Kbit for about an hour. :wallbash:

I'm on NTL (now owned by Virgin).

I can only hope I'm in that 40% by 2012 :lol:

4. Bogie

Bogie Banned

Im with AOL UK and they suck. My supposed 8meg connection runs at about 4 meg on a good day. What with them capping me because i leave my router on aswell they give me 56kps or 0.5 meg in the evenings. No one go AOL UK. EVER!

5. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

+1

Uploads should be at least half your max download.

6. xrob

xrob New Member

hmm i was under the impression that BT werent doing FTTH, so how by 2012 they plan on doing this i am unsure, the BT 21CN scheme i thought was just to better the current infrastruture with more fibre to high level POPs/Exhcanges or something and enabling all the exchanges with ADSL2 for this 24mbit crap. I can say for sure though what ever the goverment does, it will not speed things up in terms of time scale and connection speeds because they will just take it as discounts for themselves. i do hope for FTTH but living in a small town in norfolk i cant see it happening :(.

7. Omnituens

Omnituens New Member

"are NOT quite up to speed"?

personally, I prefer a SLOWER, STABLE connection, to a FAST, UNSTABLE connection. currently i have a SLOW, UNSTABLE connection.

F**K YOU BEE TEE WITH YOUR OWN HOMOHUB.

8. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

^^ I saw that but forgot to point it out. Kudos

9. bloodcar

bloodcar Active Member

It's fixed now guys, along with a couple of other typos. Sorry about that, was in a big hurry when I was typing that one out but thanks for pointing it out.

10. p3n

p3n New Member

Im all for better connections but with the increased bandwidth (upload in particular) the ISP has to be careful you dont startup your own game servers etc. Which might lead to alot of problems when gaming with ports being firewalled etc (my swedish pals cant host WC3 on their fat pipes)

11. mctigger

mctigger New Member

mmm the government getting involved could be disastrous but i would like to have a fibre connection, if it ever happens, but i doubt it, cos i can get a top speed of 700k on my connection

im with aol, oh god why did i go that route, Mainly cos i don't pay for it but hey ho, anyways, they don't cap me, they just have a tendency to cut me off time to time, when im d/l large files, idiots

12. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

QFT!!
    Upload speeds atm are at a stupidly costly premium, door to door fiber is the way forward!!
    With the sweeds already doing so, and france implimenting it, fiber would open doors to all sorts of tech, HD tv, digital phones, as well as internet.

I wish the goverment best of luck trying to get the BT puzzle together in order to roll out such.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

'Twas rumoured that many moons ago, when phone company vans were yellow, BT bosses went to No10 and offered to provide FTTH at no cost to government, but Maggie said NO!

14. Darkedge

Darkedge New Member

anyone who went with AOL - you believed their marketing rubbish and took the worst, limited internet package outside of a mobile phone contract? Fools.

AOL should die as a company NOW, and I hope they do.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Agreed, upload speeds are very poor and there's no reason for it, maybe when broadband was first used there wasn't much the average user uploaded, but with the advent of stuff like YouTube and widespread P2P use, the average user is more likely to want a high upload speed.

16. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Lets upgrade bring back Ceefax!

17. ellism

ellism New Member

There is no chance in BT doing this off of their own back with all the money they have put into ADSL in the last few years.

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Not correct at all my friend. I hated AOL before I signed up. Im with them because they were the only provider available for my flat which is in a newly built area. I had no choice other than no internet acess at all. I can now use other providers now but im stuck in a contract.

19. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish New Member

They started off that way, just haven't increased much at all with the download speeds :(

256k upload was great on 512k connections, but 512k or less upload is rather pathetic on 4mb+ connections.

It's even worse for me though, due to virgin media's horrible traffic shaping i spend most evenings with a crippled 192k upload :waah:

20. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'm with NTL/Virgin, but even my parents (who rarely use the internet) are starting to get pissed off at them. 2mB download is slower than I would like, and being limited to 10kB/sec makes my torrent ratios hate me.

Tags: Add Tags