1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK government to help push faster broadband

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 19 Sep 2007.

1. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I want upload = download tiscali block torrents aswell which is crap (although it pushed me to better ways of getting files). Torrents are actualy best for legal files not ilegal files as it's easy to find out who is uploading to you.

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

OMG you are still to taste the power of NetMadeira cache/throttling system. Its the suckiest thing ever. What simply happens is when someone visits a site for the first time, it cache's the site on their "proxy" (the throttling system). It also stops you from visiting "dodgy" sites, like thepiratebay.org which they tried to filter (they gave up after loads of complaints). So in the end NetMadeira filters and throttles EVERYTHING we do, and heck, we have throttles 4mbit connections which they claim to be 8mbit. If your not up to speed then what are we?!

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

sheesh must be nice, I wish we could get such a push here in the states :(

4. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

lol, you realise the only reason they're pushing this is because its an easy way to move up in the developed nation tables. There's no chance of the government improving something that really matters like, life expectancy, adult literacy/numeracy or average wage. So the labour government does what its best at and pads the statistics with false data. Come on and look at the bigger picture, this is being put in place for future look how good we are campaigns.

5. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Must be nice. Here in Montana 1.5-3Mbps is a damn good connection. I wish we could get the speeds you guys across the pong can get :(

6. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i get 2mbps max, and im in the UK

im glad the government are finally going to do somthing to help us, hopefully these stuipd bandwith caps can be dealt with too, no point having a 100mbit connection if your only allowed 40gb/month

7. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

What BT have planned with it's ''21st Century Network'' is frankly crap... All you will get, until about 2015-2020, is a doubling/tripling of the speed you have now. Upload will probably only get a doubling. So for me that will be about 10Mbit down and 1Mbit up. That's by 2015!! Which is when they plan major upgrade after the '21CN'.
    Considering what other countries have now, that's pitiful. We will be an international joke. For business, and our standing in the tech world, it's not at all acceptable.
    If the government don't do something about this it's going to take such a long time to get a good percentage of fibre. The rest of the world will be on two way Gbit connections and we will all still be on 10Mbit. Hell in France (France!!) 60Mbps isn't uncommon as they have VDSL... BT's '21CN' only upgrades us to 24.. Only BT could package that as an advance.

As for AOL, I'm on them, they are crap. They didn't used to be though. Until the beginning of the year and the maxdsl 'upgrade' they had no evening caps, no limits and I got a perfect service of 2Mbit. I could download 24/7 and it would always be a flat-line for both up and down. Since Maxdsl I've been meaning to switch ISPs but I haven't found one which doesn't have some kind of fair use limits or complicated bandwidth usage time scheme. They all have the same arbitrary limits and ******** but package it up differently. The first ISP which lets me use my line limits 24/7 and doesn't pester me with 'fair use', port blocking and traffic shaping gets my cash. I've downloaded and uploaded about 400GB in the last month and while AOL cripples my connection in the evenings, I can't see that I would get a better deal somewhere else.
    The government first of all needs to step in and stop all the limiting, then things like iplayer and other torrent services will work for everyone that wants them. I can't see why ofcom should allow the ISP's to get away with selling services they intentionally don't supply.

8. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Nope uploads should EQUAL your downloads, we should have none of this asynchronous rubbish.

9. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Not the rumor I head from a BT Wholesale account manager in my last job. He said BT were definitely going to do FTTC (fiber to the cabinet) and about 3 months later it was in the news that this was being seriously considered by BT as it would allow for VHDSL to be a possibility in the UK.

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

i would be glad if i could get even close to that much allready...

*starts looking for a job in sweden* honestly.. the crap quality of certain isp's really sucks donkeyballs and the upload speeds are like in the 56k stoneage...

11. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

From what I have read no fibre to the house is stiil the case. The general gist, that I get, (and as Andy Mc said) is that they will be putting fibre to the local cabinets. This, obviously, reduces the the copper length thus garnering greater speed.

12. Impossible

Impossible What's a Dremel?

Bt's 21cn scheme's first step is to remove the ATM based hardware that we all use for our ADSL and other BT based communications, Alcatel have been choosen for the hardware supplier.

Afaik, there are no plans to do FTTH just to the "green" distribution boxes in streets. As much as I dislike BT, you cant really knock them from there government owned days with the better state of network that was built..... check out germany if you think your DSL speed is bad.

Hows FTTH any different (in terms of who foots the bill) to what basicly the cable companies had to install when they were starting up, its cost them an arm and a leg so how do you think they will react over this news?

Prehaps it comes to the old chestnut that BT can no refuse any UK resident the chance to own a telephone line?

Last edited: 20 Sep 2007
  13. danskmacabre

danskmacabre What's a Dremel?

Currently have 5mb download and about 512k upload.
    As it turns out I don't really upload stuff much anyway, but yeah, a faster upload would be nice.

Therre's more than just having faster potential lines anyway, the ISPs need to beef up their systems as well.
    They're already complaining about joost, and the BBC iplayer etc and say they intend to throttle this type of traffic.

14. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

I trust the government as far as I can throw them in regards to anything computing. Ever since they scrapped the HCI scheme for basically being too successful, showed me how much they really care about an IT literate population. The only time they will ever willingly push anything is if they can benefit from it.

15. Grings

Grings I am rubber, you are glue

I'm pretty lucky with mine, i get 850k downloads and 384 upload, and the company i'm with (plusnet) has better 'traffic shaping' than most, they only limit P2P traffic from 4pm to 12am, so FTP downloads/Gaming etc are unaffected.
    They (plusnet) have recently changed their packages for the worse though, with an 8am to 12am 'peak' time, and introduced peak time download limits, needless to say i opted to stay with my current package, though i have been considering moving to another provider, any idea who has the best unrestricted packages at the moment? (primarily for gaming, i dont use any P2P/torrents/usenet nowadays)

16. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

Well unlucky for all you little English children. Since BT said donkeys ago and also when I was working for them was told by them that the might Norn Iron would get it first. Unlikely to happen but all being well it will. Plus we are the first ever country in the UK to supposedly have full broadband access. ******** im paying £25 a month just to get a 1/3rdmb so I have it bad you got it good compared to me. Also BT is the only people that an give me broadband no one else can. Today is the day they get murdered on the phone. My connection has crippled to the point msn is taking 10 minutes to sign in and I can't even load bit-tech at home it's that ****ing bad.

17. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

The government wants to "help" you get faster internet so they can monitor what you do online more closely.. ;)

18. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

Here in New York Verizon FiOS (which is fiber to the premises by the way) offers up to 50 Mbps, though for almost $100 a month. In Asia the internet connections are usually a lot faster than here in america.

19. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I like my new 3gbit (ish) university network connection

One day we will all have them in our homes .... one day

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

faster doesn't always mean low ping, due to crappy exchanges (such as Tiscali).

so they ought to sort out the ping issue, i want less than 30ping!!! i get 80 in Crysis :(

Tags: Add Tags