1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK R4 importer sentenced to one year in prison

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Looking at the press release on the ELSPA website, it looks like the courts found him guilty of copyright infringement. Apparently "associated copyrights are infringed by the playing of a counterfeit game on a chipped console.", so by selling the R4 he was enabling copyright infringement to take place.

Or something.

2. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r New Member

I'd be a hypocrite if I said I'd never played pirated games, but I completely agree with your sentiments. It pains me to see pc games appear on torrents sites on the day of release. PC games aren't even £30 new, most are about £25 and some are much cheaper.

3. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Agreed.

Now we've got deals on like the Steam sales, the digital deliverers are finding the right price-points to get users interested in buying at a price they find appealing. Although I will never pirate them, I do want COD:4, COD:MW and COD:MW2, however to me personally they are not worth any more than £7.50 each because I know I'll play them briefly and get bored and go back to the usual. Instead I'll just keep waiting. I even rebooted Civ3 the other day. Now that is a game that I have been playing since its release and to me is worth full price easily.

I know 5 people with DS's and all of them have R4's ...

4. iggy

iggy Active Member

this is some premium reporting right here. he was charged with illegal importation and import duty tax. it has absolutely nothing to do with the cartridges. he could have been importing cutlery and the same thing would have happened.

he wasnt charged with anything to do with copyright or console hacks and that elspa article has that tacked on the end to make it look like that was the case.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The ELSPA press release made it sound as though he was jailed directly because of the cartridges, not because of irregularities in the importation of the cartridges. Go rant at ELSPA for misrepresenting the case.

6. evanjdooner

evanjdooner Booty like POW!

To add to that, I believe a court in the UK (though it may have been elsewhere XD) ruled that since these cartridges can be used to enable homebrew and thus extend the functionality of the DS, that they were legal.

7. mrbens

mrbens New Member

nice advertisement for the R4! how much did they pay for this feature on bit-tech? :)

8. iggy

iggy Active Member

reporters should check facts. fact.

while its completely wrong for ELSPA to do so, it suits their agenda to misrepresent and scaremonger. while i disagree entirely with their stance, it is up to the journalists who are writing articles to get their facts right.

when they dont, organisations like ELSPA win.

9. ssj12

ssj12 Member

Sounds like the game Mirrors Edge. So who here will be the "illegal" runners against big business? lol

10. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

seriously? say what you want about pirating games and such, but i think it is absolutely unreasonable to give someone prison time for a guilty plea on importing, especially as the hardware he was importing is still legally ambiguous for the most part. thats just going too far even if it is 1 year in a minimum security prison. people get off with no time served for things that actually hurt people, this guy going to jail for transporting something that can potentially be used to facilitate the use of illegally obtained software absolutely reeks of corporate interest in the decision, don't know the UK law system too well, but in America i know this guy could appeal the crap out of this until he walks and becomes untouchable for a year or so.

11. shanky887614

shanky887614 New Member

well look at the depreciation value of the games

assasins creed is only £9 on pc

and it's the same with many games on pc becasue a lot of peple like me wait till arround a year after release and then buy it (unless its suposed to be a really good game)

12. shanky887614

shanky887614 New Member

well techincially he could apeal for a differnet judge on the ground that the court judge was bias and then do it
    but htis country is going to the dogs

13. passerby

passerby New Member

No, i dont agree.
    For every game that is worth the money there are five that are not.
    I just played 30 minutes of "thevoid" and uninstalled it. At your rates that is £60 an hour.
    I am a little upset i even spent my download time on it, but am glad it wasnt a month saving what i allow myself for entertainment.

Had i purchased it in a store i would only have to return anyway, so that particular game company isnt losing the money it thinks it is by my lost sale.

In the end my entertainment budget is still spent on entertainment, so it isnt even like anyone is actually getting less than they would have. There just isnt any more money no matter how hard you try to squeeze me.

The only end effect of copyright enforcement doesnt make people any more money, it just means that i get to play less games, and i do not find that reasonable.

14. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

Does the ELSPA article say that? As far as I can see it seems to only talk about copyright. Do you have a source which says he was done for illegal importation?

Looking at the ELSPA article, there's also a pdf of a court document. Seriously the judges in that must be mental, saying things along the lines of "console hacks are illegal because when you use them to run pirate games it copies some of the material onto RAM, and that copying infringes on copyright'. Well congratulations!! Just about everyone is commiting copyright infringement, when you play a *legal* DVD, a *legal* game and even when you turn on your computer to load Windows!!

And people wonder why this country is going to the dogs...

15. OleJ

OleJ Me!

<sarcasm>
    Wha?! You mean that journalism is supposed to be about gathering knowledge and checking up on sources?!
    But my Newzz for Dummies says all you have to do is copy paste rephrase...
    Are you sure what you say is correct?
    </sarcasm>

Tags: Add Tags