1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Ultimate Beer Review Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Voluntary_Pariah, 20 Apr 2009.

1. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

Right..... I am fed up with always drinking the same watery beers (Stella, Carlsberg, fosters, etc). So.....last night I went to a very odd little pub where they sold home-brew and exotic import beers. And there I tried many a fine pint, half pint and bottle of home made goodness

One of the most interesting one there was a Chilli Beer, which was surprisingly good (considering I can’t eat a curry hotter than a korma). Made in Mexico, it was sold by the bottle (which contained, at the bottem, a whole chilli). The first mouthful started as nothing more than a warm glow at the back of my mouth. But as I got closer to the chilli at the bottom of the bottle, the heat got stronger. But it was never to strong to drown out the taste of the beer and when I finally plucked up the courage to eat the chilli, I was pleasantly surprised to find that almost all of the caspin (or whatever makes the chilli hot) has soaked out into the beer, leaving the chilli a nice, palette (sorry for the pretentious work, but I can't think of another to use instead) cleansing snack. In conclusion, I would strongly recommend that you try this stuff it you ever see it

So, in conclusion: I have decided to improve my tastes. In exchange for sharing my experience with the chilli beer, I am hoping that people will recommend what they think is a REALLY nice drink. Lager, Ale, Bitter…..don’t matter what type it is, I’ll try it once if I think it sounds good enough.

Now, let the Ultimate Beer Review Thread Begin :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I'm getting a bit fed up of lager myself, started drinking a lot of Guinness (but it's hard to find a place that pulls a good pint, luckily my local is that place) I also drink a lot of London Pride these days, really tasty and quite cheap!

3. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

In my neck of the woods there are quite a number of local breweries, anything from small brew pubs to Miller-Coors and Leinenkugels, all of which are awesome (although I'm a bit burnt out on Miller products due to college life).

Capitol Brewery is top notch, but you'll only find that in Central Wisconsin. Highly recommended, along with (most) Leinie's products.

I've started making my way back to Scotch lately, so I'll have to update my beer list over the next few weeks.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Bitters are always good, especially when you go to a pub where they serve local beers - usually you don't recognise any of them and you just go with the one with the best name.

Mad Goose is quite nice, I think its quite a popular (i.e. mainstream) bitter. London Pride is always good too.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Anyone who enjoys beer rather than just drinking it toget lashed turns to ale :)

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Golden Glory and Doombar are my favourite ales.

Red Stripe is a great lager.

Still, tbh, it's all about wine really.

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

My personal top 3:
    Guinness
    Guinness
    Guinness

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Hoegaarden
    Leffe Blonde
    Asahi
    Chimay

Are my personal favourites. Not going to write a review, because I haven't got the know-how - I just like 'em a lot!

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Top 3?

Cornish Rattler
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    Guiness

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Mine too.

john

11. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Black Sheep Ale is a very nice pint, as is the Daleside Monkey Wrench.

12. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

i am a fan of guinness and have been since a rugby tour to ireland.

But as has been recomended by a few people go to a good local pub and try their selection of house beers, as they are always really nice and usually quite cheap

13. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I guess my top 3 would have to be

Alexander Keith's Red
    Alexander Keith's IPA (India Pale Ale)
    Heineken

All on draft of course. But if draft is not available in the bottle but never ever in the can.

14. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

My favourite lager is "Jupiler" from Belgium. Smoothest beer I've ever come across :)

15. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Budvar is nice and crisp

Not a beer, but Ardbeg is a fine whisky, sometimes you just need something stronger!

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Spitfire (rear gunners drink larger)
    London Pride
    Bombadeer.

17. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

If you can get hold of it, St peters ales are really nice, the only one i didn't like much was their IPA but then i don't like pale ale much :p
    other than st peters, its usually london pride as its that or ESB on tap back home in london. Up here in bristol theres a couple of places that sell the nicer stuff, the king William near the center sells only Sam Smiths brewery drinks which are all nice from my own experience.

18. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Go down to Tesco/Sainsb/whereever and go to the beer isle. Grab a few bottles of ale on offer (you usually get a deal like 3 for £4). Just choose ones that take your fancy, stupid names, whatever. Can't go wrong.

19. padair

padair Inebriated

My favourite beer whatever is in my garage that's ready to drink - I've just started all grain brewing having graduated from kits and extract.

20. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

listing top 3's is stupid really, because the truely great ales are fresh brewed in local micro brewries at decent pubs and so will usually only be avaliable at one pub or in festivals.

Tags: