1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ultra Low Cost / Low Spec Requirments For "Gaming" System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by T.J, 25 Sep 2017.

1. T.J

T.J What's a Dremel?

Looking like the best option :) She plays WoT from time to time but its mostly the Grandson that uses it hence him wanting one of his own now.

The wife's system can wait a bit as she doesn't use it that much but will get one of those HP's, along with a 1050 or rough equivalent second had for him- the rest of the budget can go on a replacement PSU / case, Wi-Fi adapter and maybe even a cheap game or two from Steam lol.

Thanks everyone for the brilliant ideas and the answering of what must have seemed like silly questions :)

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

3. T.J

T.J What's a Dremel?

Ended up going full circle and bought this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-DQ6...300-QUAD-3-1GHz-8GB-DDR3-USB-3-0/381879276409

CPU is a little slower but thought the 6Gb/s SATA along with USB 3 might future proof it a little, plus an Intel board has got be better than whatever HP use lol. It came in at £100, but given it looked likely the HP PSU would need replacing and ideally the case to make it look "new" the extra £40/£50 was basic buying a used HDD and DVD drive.

Leaves me / his mum with £200 to buy video card, case / PSU, Wi-Fi card and keyboard / mouse - not a massive amount but should be doable.

That's the theory at least, fingers crossed I've not made an expensive mistake with someone else's money....

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You can get cases for £10-£15 and you can get reasonable PSU around £20-£30 but don’t cut corners too much here because really cheap ones do literally go pop now and then.

You can definitely get a new Wi-fi card or a USB one for around a tenner or less.

But you don’t get a Windows license with your motherboard. Or a hard drive. Makes it a bit expensive compared to the cheapo full systems.

5. T.J

T.J What's a Dremel?

Fair point re the PSU's, been looking on Scan and they have a few CIT case / PSU combos for the around £30 mark - the Mrs' system is in a CIT Jupiter which to be fair isn't a bad case all things considered but do wonder how good the PSU Scan include will be...

Found a 250GB 7200rpm Western Digital kicking about in a drawer the other day so that will do him for now, may not be the greatest going but will work until I end up replacing one of the drives in my machines :)

Leaving aside the various "fixes" out there the Windows key shouldn't be a big issue, recently reformatted the mother in-law's laptop but the key / COA had been completely rubbed off the bottom - ended up buying an OEM Windows 7 Home Premium key on-line for a little less than £6.

I guess rightly or wrongly I've traded the quicker CPU against a higher spec and hopefully better quality motherboard, having to donate a HDD and buying an OEM Windows 7 key.

Why does everything always seem a good idea at the time? lol

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Those HP were by far the better deal, the stock 300 PSU in those would have been fine for a 1050 or whatever.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The £149 Xeon machine would have been just as quick. 4c 8t and came with everything (ram, GPU, HDD etc). Plus it would have been built like a tank. Just hearing the words "CIT" makes my skin crawl.

8. T.J

T.J What's a Dremel?

True - also starting to think the ready built systems would have been the better option from a value for money perspective...

Bit rock and a hard place though as the requirements ended up being rather conflicting, it needed to have the power for his current games along with the scope for newer stuff but also his mum wanted it be as small as possible and look new.

This meant the case would have more than likely been replaced and wasn't 100% sure an uprated GPU would have worked with an existing PSU. The size issue also limited things to nothing bigger then mATX, bit of a pain as including ATX boards would have left more options open.

Ignoring buyers remorse it should workout ok in the end and if the Mrs and I have to help the budget along a bit by buying the Wi-Fi card or similar on the sly then it'll be one to chalk up to experience, when it comes to sorting the wife's system she will have to make do with whatever does the job rather than how small / new it looks lol.