1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Un[titled] Master[piece] - completed more or less

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sethnmalice, 1 Feb 2008.

1. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one seth :thumb: like those flames :D

2. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

UPDATE 11th Feb 2008

Finished one of the feature side panels today, 2 days of filing and cutting and hands cramping...

[​IMG]
    This took 4 hours....

[​IMG]
    Another 5 hours later....my hands were taking its toll.....and filing takes forever....even on alu , 2mm

[​IMG]
    Completed the last part this morning, quite happy with the end result but its not quite finished, still had to de bur the edges, both sides, and along the way a few scraps and errors, so im hoping that the sanding tomorrow can fix a few of my stuff ups before I polish it.

[​IMG]
    Finished panel...

[​IMG]
    Began work on the acrylic backing, I much prefer working with acrylic...

[​IMG]
    A few hours later and I'm done, so what i did here was cut it out with dremel bit used for high speed cutting then ised a metal file and some jewelers files, but gave up in the end due to hand and finger cramps....went to the dremel tool box and picked out a metal sanding bit and really went to town on the acrylic to get it the way I wanted to...net result ^^...

[​IMG]
    Combine the two pieces and it dosnt look half bad, but once the protective paper is removed and the red is showing it should look great.

Still to do, flame paint the mesh backing.

3. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

Nice details ! .. nice nice nice

4. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Realy nice. I like the mixing of styles like the flames and the more modern shapes. Cant put my finger on it but I really like it. Besides all the nice shapes the work you put in is a lot :thumb:

5. brinkz0r

brinkz0r What's a Dremel?

You really know how to work for a long time straight, wish I could do that :worried: It's becoming really nice, so keep going :)

6. DragonONE

DragonONE What's a Dremel?

Awesome....

7. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

QTF.......................

I love those flames :thumb:

Alan

8. sethnmalice

@ zwiks, cheers :)

@wolff2, thnx :) just trying new things with old things....

@brinkz0r, Thnx :), I love modding, but it does take its toll, dosnt help the arthritis....

@DragonONE, Thnx :)

@theAlien, Cheers :)

9. sethnmalice

UPDATE 14th Feb 2008

Its been a few days, I'm still recovering from the filing, but I wasnt going to let that stop me, just took it a bit slower this time round.

Onto the other side panel, it too was going to get the flame treatment, but I didnt want it to look exactly the same as the other side, but certainly was going to use the same elements...

So I cut out my side panel piece...

[​IMG]
    But instead of cutting out the whole thing, I decided to only cut out the little bits (highlight pieces), this is my foundation, there will still be an acrylic piece backing it... (pay attention to the gaps)

[​IMG]
    I cut out an acrylic flame piece and tried my hardest to get it smooth and close to concept design as i could (still needs to be sanded and edges polished)

Lets add the two together...

[​IMG]
    Like so....Its a nice contrast and keeps the theme flowing...

And I decided this a while ago, that I was also going to use the flame design for the front of the case, this is the 120mm flame grill cover, yes it exceeds 120 mm, but thats the point...

[​IMG]
    Still needs to be filed sanded and polished, polishing will be one of the last things I do as its the most time consuming thing everrrr :)

I'm still unsure as to what I'm doing with the front panel , which is why you havnt seen it yet, but when things become more clear in my head about what direction im going to take on it , ill post some more stuff, as I wasnt completely happy with the original concept designs of it, I feel its missing something, so I hope something comes to me soon.

Seth

10. zwiks

NICE .. uhh i realy like the sharp edges ! . omfg it looks nice .. good work.. keep it up comming :D

11. G0RD0N FAN

G0RD0N FAN Jeff Gordon #24

You do some great work! Keep it up I cant wait to see it finished!

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Awesome work.:D
    I have to tell you- buying a scroll saw was the best thing I've done in years. It's saved me a lot of time and pain, and I don't use it nearly as much as you would.

13. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

I SO enjoyed your previous project Seth, and I'm eager to see this one progress too. Now get out of bed and keep modding! :lol:

14. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

what are you using to cut out the flames?? it looks really clean

15. sethnmalice

@ zwiks, thnx :)

@ G0RD0N FAN, thnx :)

@ Cheapskate, thnx :), I have one in hiding I just cant use it, due to work area limitations, but once the shed is built I'm throwing the nibbler away for good. My hands have had enough.

@ Sleepstreamer, thnx:), nice to have someone of ur modding caliber visit my worklog :), Progress Updates arent going to be as full on as F.N were, it nearly wiped me out, going to take my time on this one :)

@ nickhelton, On the ALU flames, I use a nibbler to cut and 4 various sized metal files, on the Acrylic I use a dremel - Alu cutting bit to cut shape out, file edges down, then I use a metal polishing bit to get it all even at 37.000 rpm, takes a few hours but its worth it.

16. sethnmalice

UPDATE 16th Feb 2008

Progress is going pretty good, although I hit a snag or two along the way and had to re-model a few ideas, but other than that alls going well.

[​IMG]
    This was the initial plan, and its somewhat changed....keeping the flames though :)

I dont know why I broke the acrylic up into 4 pieces, just seemed the right thing to do at the time, but I changed that and decided to go with this...

[​IMG]
    1 nice huge piece all blood red acrylic...

[​IMG]
    Add side panel design from 2mm alu

[​IMG]
    Add blood red acrylic flames...

[​IMG]
    Add 3 flame pieces...

[​IMG]
    To give you a more 3D presence...

Im quite happy with it, Its begining to look how I first dreamed of it in my sleep, and Im continuing with this throughout the whole case, just an immense mass of flamming, this is the right side panel, still have to do the left and redo the top and then finally move onto the front and then do something with the inside of the case as its 100% steel, make it lighter by removing some steel etc etc.

Note: There are still some rough spots around certain flames as I'm exhausted from a long day of extreme filing, roughly 7 hours of filing, but its starting to come together now, and then ill be able to move onto the polishing...

Seth

17. zwiks

as i said before.. NICE :D

18. sethnmalice

UPDATE 22nd Feb 2008

Production has been slow but consistant, I have finished both of the side panels (at least the construction side of it), a couple of changes took place...

The right side panel (motherboard tray side) the red acrylic pieces were removed and replaces with a full sized piece, and I may also be doing this for the left side panel (still unsure).

All the aluminium pieces have been cut out, filed, and sanded and polished, this is phase 1, there are going to be three phases, and with each phase I'm going to sand and polish and sand and polish and sand and final polish, and I hope to gain the advantage of completely removing the streak marks that plague each piece.

[​IMG]
    Close Up
    [​IMG]
    Close Up
    [​IMG]
    Close Up
    [​IMG]
    Six pieces (only 3 shown), each of them were sanded back with grit 1000 (dry) then 1000 grit (wet), left in the sun to dry and to allow the alu panel pieces to heat up.

[​IMG]
    Here you can see the difference between polished and not polished.

[​IMG]
    All pieces polished, the reason I allowed the panels to heat up, is because it makes hand polishing alot easier, less rub time over all per piece, rather than start with a cold panel piece and rub to heat it up I allowed heat first then polished it up, not bad for phase 1.

[​IMG]
    Opposite panel not polished...

[​IMG]
    And now polished, streak marks are obvious and something I will fix in the next phase.

[​IMG]
    Both panels are completed, but now the time consuming work begins, each acrylic piece will be sanded 1000 to 2000 grit dry then wet, then the edges will be polished, not all edges will be polished due to inaccessability, those will probably get a light sand.

Center pieces are done on 2mm and smaller pieces are 1.5 mm and the acrylic is 3mm (incase you were wondering)

Now onto phase 2....

Seth

19. craig_h

craig_h What's a Dremel?

What nibbler do you use? Hand or electric.

20. sethnmalice

@ craig h, hand nibbler

Tags: