1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Un[titled] Master[piece] - completed more or less

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sethnmalice, 1 Feb 2008.

1. craig_h

craig_h What's a Dremel?

2. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

@ craig h , no not like that, in next post ill have a pic of it, it does the same thing though, just built differently

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

4. sethnmalice

UPDATE 25th Feb 2008

Top Panel do-over.

With everything leaning more and more towards flames, the Top Panel, well, just looks ot of place so I re-did it some what.

I just sat down to watch a movie and began doodling on some draftsman paper, and ideas popped into my head, some were drawn and others were not, but eventually I came up with this idea..

[​IMG]
    Penciled Version

[​IMG]
    Inked Version - reading to begin templating...

[​IMG]
    Using a hobby knife I began to cut it out.... 30 mins later...

[​IMG]
    I have my template ready for the next stage...Transfering it to Aluminium...

Last minute check to make sure it will fit and its in proportion with the Top Panel

[​IMG]
    Nice fit, needs a bit of work but altogether I'm pleased with it.

[​IMG]
    Fast track to - Masked up the 1 mm aluminium, copied template across and using a hand nibbler, cut the main body of the design out.

[​IMG]
    Filing and Nibbling begins...

[​IMG]
    Some areas get the drill treatment, this makes it alot easier to file for accuracy, the larger hole for the nibbler, saves me a few hours...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Completed..

[​IMG]
    Test fit it to the Top Panel, fix any minor errors, then time to peel off the Masking tape.

[​IMG]
    The underside (Which this isnt) was deburred but the top hasnt been as you can see, alot of rough edges, I file these down then move onto sanding...

[​IMG]
    First dry sanded with wet n' dry 1000 grit, to clean up anything ive left behind from the de-burring.

[​IMG]
    Close up of a sanded section - this has also been wet sanded with 1000 wet n' dry...

[​IMG]
    This is the semi completed top panel, just to show you the comparison between not polished and polished...

[​IMG]
    Phase 1 Polishing Completed - Top Panel completed, next is to 1200 wet sand before next stage of polishing...

These are the tools I've been using on all the alu work, although the nibbler is the 2nd one, I broke the first nibbler on the top and side panels (2mm is a pain to work with).

[​IMG]
    Nibbler, 3 x Jewellers files, triangle file, Half Medium and Half Full File, Hole punch and 4 different sized drill bits, and a cordless drill with a much larger diameter drill bit (not shown)

All up about 4 days of continual work, 2 days worth of hand polishing.

I still need to cut out the red acrylic base for this piece to sit on, and continue with Phase 2 Polishing.

Seth

5. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

nice handwork man!.... always nice to see that you dont always needs a scrollsaw:D

6. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

awesome work ..........just beautiful and great :dremel: skills............:thumb:

Alan

7. sethnmalice

UPDATE 26th Feb 2008 (continuation of previous update)

I still had the acrylic to go but havnt been feeling the best and today proved more challenging than normal.

Firstly the acrylic piece I got out of storage, I thought was the right color, but alas it wasnt, everything looks the same in the light to me, so I made the acrylic base out of the brighter red instead, rather than the prefered Blood Red, and then after everything was done and finished I noticed it inside....so back into the shed I went and found the right piece of acrylic and re-did the acrylic base.

Todays work consisted of Dremel with High Speed Cutter (acrylic and light metals), it rips through acrylic like a knife through butter, and several files and dremel drum sander...

[​IMG]
    Cut to size...and added some bits....to give the top panel a bit more life...

[​IMG]
    Added the aluminium , still need to fine sand it and fix some small errors...

[​IMG]
    This is the net result although this isnt the Blood Red I'm going to use, this is the same red I used with Future Neon, I left the Backing on the underside to darken it up a bit, and now that I see it before me , I'm umming and ahhing between using this and using the Blood Red...

Next post I'll get a readers vote on which of the two red's to use.

More to follow soon.

Seth

8. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

WOW!! I love that silver on red look! Cool design! Very nicely done!

Hehe, if could add one thing to the "it-probably-aint-gonna-happen-wish-list" it would be some equally cool engravings on the alu, with black coloring in the grooves. But it would be a shame to ruin this lovely piece should something go seriously wrong while engraving.

Keep it up!

9. sethnmalice

@Macros the Black, that actually isnt such a bad idea....ive got enough scraps to practice etching on alu to try it, my only concern is the painting of the grooves and how deep does one go, or would it be a surface scratch, then do i hand paint satin black into the grooves etc.....small questions but as the idea popped into your head maybe you might be able to answer them for me and i can give it a go on some scrap alu, then polish n paint it up, just to see if it will work - (i may not have steady hands) - but id be willing to give it a go.

10. Macros_the_Black

Well I did try out doing some engraving on alu with a homemade chisel-like tool about two months ago. The way I did it was wiggling it and applying pressure at the same time. It was kind of like carving out the designs. At first I kept slipping and scratching up the surface, but after some practice (like 15 min or so) I was able to get something close to what I wanted w/o slipping.
    Then I just painted the engravings with a black pen and gave it a quick "polish" with 1000 grit sand paper, just to see what it would look like. Came out pretty ok.. for a quick test, imho.
    Hmm.. I think I might still have the piece, hold on.. *went to the junk-pile in the kitchen* ...yup, there it was. Lemme take a quick pic *fetching camera* ....

[​IMG]
    (click to zoom) The scale in the top right corner is in millimeters

I also made a enlargement as well (click to zoom):
    [​IMG]

The tool I made from a broken needle file by grinding it. Getting the right shape of the tool required some experimentation and a heavy dose of luck. <=)
    I'm guessing it would be much easier to do the engraving with a proper tool. I know there are such tools, that gunsmiths use for engraving guns with, perhaps you should look those up. Alternatively just use a Dremel multi-tool or Dremel engraver, which will save you some wrist pain.

[edit] About the depth, my grooves are between 0.1 to 0.3 mm deep (measured with a needle and calipers) and 0.4 to 1.1 mm wide. [/edit]

Last edited: 27 Feb 2008
  11. sethnmalice

@Macros the Black, I gave it a go on a spare piece of alu, and its nothing special, i found it difficult to keep a curved line looking good, straight lines arent too bad, but if i was to engrave id go for cletic knot work, and i dont think im at that kind of level yet, but im going to keep on practicing....so it may not be seen on this mod but possibly a future one, but thnx for the idea none the less :)

12. Macros_the_Black

Cool. yeah, the curved lines are the hardest until you get the hang of it. I found that It's easy to get impatient, and when trying to rush it adding force you slip and the piece is ruined. It's probably a lot easier to use a dremel multi-tool and an engraving bit. What kind of tool did you use?
    Cool, I was also thinking celtic knot work. ^_^ Sounds good (practice).. perhaps we'll see some work later that'll even rival the works of Fillimon. =D

Keep up the great work!

13. sethnmalice

@Macros the Black, I used a needle point polishing tip, granted not the right tool, but Ive used it on acrylic and it does the job, with the alu i seemed to get stuck in the groove of the alu and thats when I strayed from what I was doing, perhaps more preparation on the panel would give me better results, and also the correct tip, triangle tip alu cutter, but still i would need absolute steadyness, which then would lead me to maybe clamping it down on a device that was suspended from above, and I would have to manipulate the panel manually under it, would be like basic - very basic lazer cutting, but in your pics youve done a great job, how long did it take you to do the 'B' ???, I think it would take many an hour to preform even a simple pattern, but definately something worthy of some practice, think ill see if i can go to the local hardware store and look for a more appropriate dremel bit. :)

14. Macros_the_Black

Ok. I've never done any engraving with a power tool so I'm afraid I can't be of much help there. =/ However, I do have some ideas that _might_ make the job easier.. or harder *shrugs* LOL.
    Before I start rambling, let me answer the 'B' question: I'm not sure, time flies when you're having fun you know, but I think it took a few minutes.. say 3-5 min?? With more practice and better tools it would probably be possible to cut that time down while improving on the work.
    I found a link with some brief info on hand engraving tools if you're interested -> http://www.familycrest-engraving.co.uk/engravingtools.html

Hmm.. I started writing down some ideas on using one of the following dremel accessories:
    #330 Router Attachment
    #565 Multipurpose Cutting Kit
    #568 Grout Removal Kit
    ...but as I thought things through I found problems with these solutions... I'll just list what I've thought about and then you can decide for your self what method you wanna use (if any at all).
    I also want to apologize for filling your log with so much text.. lemme know if you want me to edit it away!

Suspended:

Pros:
    + Could be made _very_ sturdy.
    + Possibly a low cost solution.
    + Will not scratch the engraved surface.
    + Could be made with variable tool angle.

Cons:
    - If the distance from the tool tip to any vertical structure that the tool is attached to is too short, you might snag the workpiece on this structure while being focused on the engraving and thus possibly ruining the piece. I have an idea on a simple wall mounted rig if you are interested.
    - If the friction against the surface it's lying/sliding on is too great, you might have trouble moving it smoothly. A piece of felt cloth might help here.

#330:

Pros:
    + Seems sturdier than the #565 and #568.
    + Two hand grip will make it easier to move accurately than the #565 and #568.
    + Might be easier to move around than moving the workpiece (?)

Cons:
    - More expensive than the #565 and #568.
    - Might scratch the surface you're engraving if you get shavings between the base of the tool and the workpiece.
    - Will it work well with that 90° tool angle?

#565:

Pros:
    + Cheaper than the #330.

Cons:
    - Might be less sturdy than the #330. This could be remedied by making a custom base plate with supports and a two hand grip out of acrylic or wood. (I have ideas on how such a base plate could be designed if you are interested.) Don't make it too big or you might have problems with friction.
    - Might scratch the surface you're engraving if you get shavings between the base of the tool and the workpiece.
    - The smaller base will be more prone to dip into cutouts in the workpiece. (See custom base plate solution above!)
    - Will it work well with that 90° tool angle?

#568:

Pros:
    + Cheaper than the #330.
    + Might be better with a non-90° tool angle (?)

Cons:
    - Less sturdy than the #330. (See custom base plate solution above @ #565!)
    - The smaller base will be more prone to dip into cutouts in the workpiece. (See custom base plate solution above @ #565!)
    - Might be less sturdy than the #565 due to the angle of the tool. This could be remedied with the custom base plate.

I'm willing to bet that there are better authorities on engraving here on the forum than me, so perhaps posting/searching in the Modding forum will probably provide you with better advice than mine! <=D

Last edited: 28 Feb 2008
  15. sethnmalice

@Macros the Black - I think further investigation is needed on my behalf, looking more into dremel bits, there may be a special tip out there that will do the job, or the router attachment idea, has possibilities...but more research and some practice...food for thought I's say.

16. sethnmalice

UPDATE 1st March 2008

Small Update, after what was voiced about the inconsistancy of the flame tips of the side panel, while I was re-sanding in 1200 wet grit, I re-filed the tips to make them more pointier that the fisrt attempt, several hand and finger stabs later, I got there, and I mananged to avoid bending the flames too, as they are alot more bendable than before, a quick 1 hr polish and they're done, also got rid of a majority of the streak marks too :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can clearly see in this pic that the opposite side panel adjacent still has the rounded type flames, these too will be getting the pointy tip treatment...

[​IMG]

Last but not least, the main body of each side panel was cut from 2mm Alu, and this panel in particular was cut really badly, most likely rushed, and as I was polishing it up I became completely aware of the fact that there were aot of errors that cant be fixed, so I bought some more 1mm alu and re-did the panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I fixed up somethings along the way, these pics are just for show and are not complete as I'm doing them at the moment, but I made the flame extra's a little bigger and gave them more body, i want more red acrylic to show, and then they become more noisy towards the tips, like the ends are where the flames are at there loudest.

I'm going to skip the polish in between each wet sand, and just do a dry sand at 1000 then wet, then wet 1200 and 2000 a good clean up and then a power polish, that should give me the desired effect of a decent polish.

I was polishing in between to see where the problem areas were.

Also as I lay in bed this morning, you know where your awake but you wish you were alseep, roughly around the time your brain kicks in and the flow of ideas happen (well thats how it works for me)...fighting away the ideas and begging for my eyes to close as it were...but, the ideas became stronger and more vivid and I had to get up and become awake and jot my ideas on some scrap paper....

I have a concept for the front panel!!!!!, I'm just drawing ontop of my drawing to see what unfolds, hope to have concept pics soon.

Seth

17. Macros_the_Black

I agree, more research. *nods*

Those pointy flames look great! =D Keep it up!

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Late night brainstorms suck.:hehe: If you made 2 plexi layers for the top, use both.:D

19. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

i have the #565 Multipurpose Cutting Kit and it is very good. it is like the router one but with no handles.
    ill post you a pick of the bit i use if you like.

but i never use the cutting kit with my dremmle i do it all freehand with my flexyshaft.

20. sethnmalice

UPDATE 3rd May 2008

Front Panel Concept

As you know I havnt had much of a game plan for the Front Panel, lots of mixed thoughts and so forth but nothing set in concrete, so i basically left it alone, I dont want to leap into it without having some forethought first.

So there I was the other morning dreaming and this idea popped into my head and in my waking daze I drew something down on paper...Yesterday I designed the first Concept of the Front Panel.

Marked it up and measured it to be as accurate as possible, reason being is that the top and side panels envelope at the tips towards the front, like the lines on a hot cross bun, so everything has to line up, which it now does.

Unlike previous thoughts where I was going to utilise the case front as the case front - meaning use whats already there, I have now decided to completely rebuild the Front Panel, but keep most of its original structure (If that makes any sense).

Best way to describe my vision is to show you my vision...

[​IMG]

Right, now what your looking at is the New Front Facia (Front Panel), whats changed is that the stealthed CD/DVD rom is in the center of the case, and this posses a problem for myself as the 5.25 drives are actually up the top, so I have to completely overhaul the front chassis to accomodate this new idea (could be a problem - more thought needed on my behalf before I even start an attempt).

Up the middle I have some flame work and inbetween those two flammed pieces, the lovely red bulgin switch will sit.
    Most of the work will be red acrylic and the flames around the drive and buttons, will be accented in polished alu, as we head down the panel, I have the flame grill sitting infront of the 120mm blow hole, this grill will be raised slightly. For all the left over bits I was thinking about modders mesh (not sure what type) to give more ventilation and to really set off the red and polished accent pieces.

The help I'm after is , does it look ok?, as in does it flow, I look at it and get mixed feelings....and I wanted your opinion on the design, the blow hole dosnt have to be there and I can continue the flame work down the middle and add a fan contoller or two through it (second concept pic - in the process), but by doing this I lose the front fan grill, but it can be used elsewhere.

So I would really appreciate some feedback :)

Seth

Tags: