1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Unboxing and setting up my Dell 2713HM with an Ergotron MX arm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ron-ski, 23 Dec 2012.

1. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

Yesterday I set up my new Dell2713HM monitor, woke up with a bad hang over and thumping headache - works Christmas party the night before.

For a full technical review please see here.

[​IMG]

I've taken a few pictures, which I'll post below, they are not of the best quality as the it was dark when I took them, so had to rely on room lighting/flash.

I started off by mounting the Ergotron arm, which is no easy thing to do on your own (wife was still asleep), I couldn't just hook it over the edge of the desk as the gap between the wall and desk was too small. SO had to take the mounting bracket off, lay the arm on the desk then get underneath the desk and pull it into place, then whilst holder the arm with one hand pick the screws up and screw them in with the other hand, luckily I'm a mechanic so pretty use to doing things one handed.

[​IMG]

When I unpacked the monitor I found the easiest way to get it out of the box on you're own was to put the box on the floor and grip it with you're feet, you can then lift the monitor out of the box. The Dell stand is packed separate in the box and looks and feels very sturdy, and would be very simple to fit to the screen, it simply clips in place, with a push button to release it. In my case I'm using a Ergotron MX desk mount arm, and was quite pleased to see that Dell supplies 4 screws already in the Vesa mount screw holes.

[​IMG]

Mounting the monitor to the arm was another balancing act, the Vesa recess in the back of the monitor was a little larger than the square plate on the mount so I need to slide it around to line the screw holes up which was a little tricky.

I was always a little concerned about the length of the supplied cables, the only ones I used was the DL DVI and the USB cable, both were 1.8 meters including the connectors, which I consider too short. I had a USB extension cable so that wasn't a problem, and the DVI just about reached, but I couldn't route it fully down the arm as it should be, it's also quite a thick cable.

I spent quite a long time re-organising cables to tidy things up, made a shelf to go on top the paper trays for the scanner, which I had to do twice, as the first one I made to match the width of the holes at the back, only to find the front ones were wider apart :wallbash:

[​IMG]

Initial impressions when I first turned it all on, WOW that's bright! I've set it to the sRGB profile, and turned the brightness down to 40 (and it's still pretty bright), these are the only adjustments I've made. The picture is very clear, and the screen is very large. I previously had a Samsung SyncMaster 2343 as my main screen (now my secondary screen), which has a resolution of 2048 x 1152, and the pixel pitch is 0.249mm, whereas the Dell is 0.2331mm, so very slightly smaller. My eyesight not as good as it used to be but I can still read text perfectly well on it. The colours on the Dell are much better than the Samsung, but I've always found that to be a bit dull anyway, keep tweaking it but can't seem to get it to match other monitors, only really notice when you have a white background on both monitors. The screen is very slightly glossy, but this is not a problem, so Dell must have really toned down that anti-glare coating.

[​IMG]

I played some Crysis 2 last night, at native resolution with everything set to Ultra, with hi-res textures, and my single 680 managed between 30 to 45 FPS, so perfectly playable, but may have to get another. :naughty:

[​IMG]

One thing I did find was the size of the screen is going to take a bit of getting used to for gaming, tended to not notice things at the outer edges so easily, but I'm sure I'll adapt to it. I also need to get a arm for my other monitor. Overall very happy with the new screen.

Edit. I should also add that the screen moves very nicely on the arm, no adjustments to the arm were required.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2012
    YEHBABY likes this.
  2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Love your setup. Great pics :thumb:

3. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

Thanks, link to full spec now in my sig.