Build Advice Understanding RAM for Cofee Lake 8600K

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 23 Dec 2017.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

I am about to rebuild my gaming rig and already have motherboard (Asus Maximus Code X) and a binned i5 8600K promised to go above 5GHz.

But Im not sure if I should keep my RAM or buy new ones now to match the CPU, how much and impact it would make and if im limiting the CPU.

My GPU is a GTX 1070 Zotac AMP Extreme.

The RAM I have now are Corsair Dominator DDR4 2400 CL10-12-12-31-T1, so despite having only 2400 MHz they have real low timings.
    I dont know how that would compare to lets say DDR4 3200 at CL14?
    Were do I get the most bandwith and would give an actual difference?

If we talk less than 5-10fps in games then its not worth it, as long as I can keep it better than 60frames on ultra settings (I have a 144Hz monitor)

2. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

What you linked to is DDR3, not DDR4. You will need DDR4 for Coffee Lake.

There isn't much of a difference from Ram speeds / latencies with Coffee Lake, https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews..._Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/9.html

That said, personally I wouldn't buy anything rated below 3000 due to the handful of situations where it does matter, plus there isn't much of a saving by buying extra slow DDR4 vs regular DDR4 as the price is hideous across the board.

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Yes sorry, but mine is DDR4 version of this kit, same timing and specs, just different pin layout so it fits DDR4

4. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

If its DDR4 you already have I wouldn't buy anything new due to the crazy Ram prices.

AT0MAC likes this.
  5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

2nd. If you already have DDR4 just be happy you don't have to pay the silly prices at the moment and don't worry about generally fairly-to-very marginal performance gains from faster RAM.

AT0MAC likes this.
  6. AT0MAC

AT0MAC ~PC ninja~

Thanks, that means I can start rebuilding my rig sooner than expected :)

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Even if it were far worse I would just use what I had until prices come back down again. I am still running 2133 for that reason. Plus I spent £55 on coolers for my memory (really nice flat black XSPC) so I really don't feel like replacing it just yet.