1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uni: Dissertation..

Discussion in 'General' started by M3G4, 9 May 2007.

1. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

6500 words in under 8 hours :)
    though i had done the surveying and research before hand

the hardest part was trying to get down to the 3000 word limit that i found out was scraped just as i hit 4000 words :(

2. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

BSc Computer Games Programming @ Teesside (*high-fives Doug*)

I basically designed a system which let you chat with NPCs and to get information from them you had to actually converse and ask the right questions. Using NLP and Dialogue Generation to form a 'Question Answering Character' (Google > 'Sgt. Blackwell') and then just chucked it into a game engine and gave it some context.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I miss boro :'(

Still need to finalise my FYP ideas. Thinking of making a driver for Samsung Mobiles for Linux, then if I have the time, make a GUI front end which lets you access the data like the Samsung PC suite.

Just because I want to move to linux and my U600 is gorgeous.

4. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

It's all done and handed in! Thank god... lol :hehe: It's probably crap but hey. I don't care... lol

5. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

That's the spirit! :D

6. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Screw that, mine was 52,000 words. Read it again, just incase you missed it the first time.
    I wept.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

aaaaaaaaaaand i'm done.

i didn;t sleep for 36 (or was it more like 38) hours.

i felt AWESOME.

8. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

What was that for, a Masters or PHD surely? :jawdrop:

9. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

My masters was about 50'000 so I'd assume it was something of that ilk.

10. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

You're lucky if your dissertation is something you can do in a week or so, mines gunna involve a research project that involves participant observation n needs to take place over atleast 2 months n then i'll have to actually write about it so I can't start right near the deadline, boo and hiss :(

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The key is to start worrying about it very early and plan it in detail in your head. Write it down as notes if it helps.

Then, about a month before it's handed in, start your research. Leave 2 weeks for writing assuming you write everyday, even if just a little. That way you can easily get it done. Good days come and you can churn out a 1000 words, and on bad days you do a sentence. Take a day off a week, but no more. You'll naturally work harder the closer to the deadline you get.

Leave two weekdays minimum for proofing, printing and binding.

My diss. was 15,000 words on the "Stylistical changes over time between the language used on branded cereal packets and supermarket own-brand equivalents."

I did the same thing for a project at GCSE and a project in English A-level. I consider myself a forthright authority on Frosties and Corn Flakes.

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

hahaha, for a research methods course we did, we did an experiment to determine whether the packaging of a product had any effect on the perceived quality of the taste. we used breakfast cereals for it!

apparently kellogg's corn flakes taste better than sainsbury's, BUT if you let em see the packaging, suddenly sainsburys taste better :eek:

13. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

nope, BEng Software Engineering.