1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Uni survival kit!

Discussion in 'General' started by <A88>, 17 Aug 2007.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

To save hassle take some passport photos.

2. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Catered is great, honestly. Especially in your last few years at uni when you don't want the hassle of having to cook. At my uni, it ended up being a lot more social than being in non-catered halls, and all meals were 3 courses and at reasonable times.

3. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

So we're al in agreement that Bindi's a ickle mummies boy then? :D :p

4. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

God yeah, especially when you go down with you halls mates and spend a good hour or so just chatting over dinner without having to worry about who's gonna clear up. And trust if you'll realise in the second year how much of a luxury catered halls were when you have to decide what to eat and cook and plan in advanced. God i sound really lazy :( but its true i love being cooked for and hate having to think up meals and weekly eating plans.

Also never underestimate the power of a cooked breakfast after a heavy night out, especially if you dont have to cook it yourself.

5. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Taking a safe might be a little much - even pretentious which will make you less likable and maybe even overvalue some of your stuff to encourage theft. You can pretty much get away with normal electricity consumption as long as you're not growing tropical plants amongst other things. You won't need to take much. A computer, your fav. gadgets, and a good attitude. Homesickness is not uncommon, especially if you're really far from home and can't visit on weekends etc. It tends to go away quickly once you get used to it, make a few friends etc (and you'll actually wish you didn't have to go home!)

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

bring a safe if you have one, if you don't then just find a good hiding place

7. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

HA, i say go non-catered then by the time the second year kicks in you wont have to worry about your problem of not being able to cook! PLUS its social activity in itself. once one person starts to cook you end up having the entire flat out in the kitches/communal room waiting to take their turn for food. Just remember the three ingradiants,
    Protiene, (eggs, meat)
    Carbs, (pasta, bread)
    Veg. (peppers, onion, carrot...etc. you know VEG)

Meat is expencive, but you dont need that much in reality so bulk everything up with veg and youll be a healthy person :D
    Also catered are set times, and with some courses youll end up missing the time for food due to lectures. Whats the point of spending the extra money for somthing that your not going to benifit from. Go Catered and be a real student! As then you can experiment with your food :clap:

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Unlike bindi says, leave your doom open when you're in the flat :) As he says you'll be living with these people a long time so if any of them nick something then they live right next door to you and you'll see it next time you're in their room :)

I haven't heard so much of students stealing from flatmates before, just people breaking into student accomodation. No need to be paranoid about security, just cautious and sensible.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah, propping the door open while you unpack is a great idea, makes people less afraid to pop their heads in and say hi, but obviously, when you're out of the room, keep your door closed/locked. In my halls we had flats of about five rooms and a large kitchen/common area, with a flat door that lead to the landing. Thant meant I could leave my door unlocked while I was in the common area as only people I knew (or my flatmates knew) could enter the flat. Unless they were drunk, they kept out of everyone's rooms, so lock your door at night unless you want a rude awakening by a fat welshman in a thong.

10. K

K 528491

Sounds proper lame, but definitely take some basic tools with you. Screwdrivers, hammer, pliers, whatever. Ridiculously useful and something that NO ONE ELSE ever seems to have. Considering this is Bit-Tech though, it's probably a given to have them.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Agreed! I've become Mr. Fix it because I have a hammer, drill, assorted screws, WD40, spanner set and allen key set. (Along with various computer-related tools, but they don't count.)

Very true, but only if you have internal doors to a flat, rather than doors onto an open corridor! :D

Miserable Bindi! :p

Last edited: 18 Aug 2007
  12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

agreed lol

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

What about long distance relationships at uni, are they worth the effort?

<A88>

Last edited: 20 Aug 2007
  14. RTT

RTT #parp

That's probably only something you can decide :)

15. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

No - spend your first year boning anything that moves!!!

(Wear protection)

16. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

For the right person yes, if the relationship is already on the rocks though then its probably not going to pull through.

17. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

worked for me. but then its neven MORE of a long distance relationship now that im in Dubai (shes canadian)

Tags: