1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Unidyne

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 21 Jun 2009.

1. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The Unidyne was my first attempt at writing a project log. It was published at HardOCP (and no where else) in 2006. It is much more detailed than my website posting.

My motive for rehashing this project is to finally bring all my project logs together on bit-tech and to give myself an opportunity to re-write the original to be more concise.

Over the years, the Unidyne has been included in many "top ten"-type lists in case modding. It is difficult to find a "Most Unusual" or "Weirdest" case mod list without the Unidyne being included. I consider this a high honor. :D

So if you have never heard of the Unidyne then sit back and enjoy the ride. If this is old news then move along...nothing new here.

[​IMG]

The project starts off with 7 pieces of 3" x 3/8" x 8" laser cut basswood separated by six pieces of 1/2" x 1/2" x 8". This entire arrangement is backed by two adjoining sheets of 3/16" x 4" basswood stock.

[​IMG]

I printed out an enlarged PDF file of the subject and cut out the top curve.

[​IMG]

Traced out the curve on one side and then flipped everything around to get a tracing on the other side.

[​IMG]

Resulting curve.

[​IMG]

Tools of the trade: A Dremel with flex-shaft and a sandpaper drum bit, a hand rasp and sandpaper wrapped around a scrap piece of plywood.

[​IMG]

Knocking down the end pieces to the drawn curves.

[​IMG]

Some spacers have been inserted to provide some support.

[​IMG]

The center fins are rough-cut using the Dremel drum sander bit and the end pieces as a guide.

[​IMG]

The center fins are brought further into submission with 60-grit sandpaper.

[​IMG]

Result of efforts.

[​IMG]

Let's do it again!

[​IMG]

Exact copies.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2009
    Guest-16 likes this.
  2. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz New Member

That looked like somekind of wooden heatsinks ;) Lovely :)

I like mods which contain wood.

3. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

Made up some "fin" stock by gluing two sizes of wood together. Here are three samples of finished fin stock.

[​IMG]

Using some fin stock as spacers, blocks are glued onto basswood sheets.

[​IMG]

The results are these left and right parts.

[​IMG]

Fin stock is glued directly onto a basswood sheet resulting in this center part.

[​IMG]

All three parts come together and interlock at the corners.

[​IMG]

A fourth part is added to the center to complete this section. All that time playing with Lincoln Logs is finally paying off. :D

[​IMG]

Eash end cap gets blocks glued to the bottom. These create channels that other parts fit down into.

[​IMG]

The middle section sets snuggly down into the end cap's channels. Like so...

[​IMG]

Turned around. What you see taking shape here is a compartment for the computer equipment.

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

Another pair of left and right side panels (w/spacers) get mounted into channels.

[​IMG]

Fin stock gets fitted into the slots created by the side panels.

[​IMG]

Other side. The side fin stock fits up tightly to the backside of the front fin stock.

[​IMG]

The top end-cap sets down snuggly onto the structure using its channels as guides. The box for the equipment is fully formed.

[​IMG]

The front doesn't look as rough as the back.

[​IMG]

Photo with Universal Size Comparator.

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

Starting to put some curves into the structure. The major sub-sections remain unglued for now to make it easier to do free form hand sanding.

[​IMG]

The curve is translated across the face of the end-caps.

[​IMG]

Re-assembled to check the look of the front curve.

[​IMG]

Bits and pieces of the detail trim cut and assembled.

[​IMG]

Each of the square blocks is notched with a large round file to form a semi-circle on each end. These are inserted into the Matrix

[​IMG]

The front decorative spacers and rough-cut logo block are inserted between the front fins.

[​IMG]

The curve for the side fins is traced out on all the pieces (a few shown here) using a hand formed "master" curve (foreground).

[​IMG]

The side fins are individually rough-cut down close to the master curve. Final shaping is done by placing the master curve in the center of the collection and working them all down simultaneously to the master.

[​IMG]

Re-assembled for a look and to translate the curve across the end-cap sides.

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I watched this one on Hard. You haven't gotten anyone on this forum to ask what the U word means:rock::thumb::rock:

Uni what?

john

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

OK John. Time for a commercial break. :lol:

The Unidyne aka Shure Model 55 microphone aka Elvis' Microphone is a 70-year-old design that is still very popular today.

[​IMG]

I have always liked the way they looked and couldn't help but see the basic outline of a tower case in its profile. I was obsessed for nearly two years with the idea that I could somehow translate its iconic style into a computer design.

This project is brought to you by....nobody. No sponsor would listen to such a crazy idea. I purchased their products and gave them credit for the sponsorship anyway. That was a tactical decision that has paid for itself several times over.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I knew what it was, but I have socks older than a lot of these talented young guys.

I still have our Victrola VV-XI , my 1946 Ipod

[​IMG]

and 2 Webster Chicago Model 80 wire recorders.

Never seen a wire recorder modded. Hmmm?

john

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  9. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

Switching gears to the computer stuff. The basic idea here is to pack all the components into a tight, compact package that can be pulled out of the case as a single unit. I call it a cartridge.

[​IMG]

1/2" aluminum angle is supported by 6-32 threaded rods using nylon spacers and nuts. The mini-ITX motherboard's mounting holes are the starting point.

[​IMG]

The system's cooling will be handled by a fan blower that will be mounted in its own angle cradle.

[​IMG]

More threaded rod and nylon spacers are used to correctly position the blower outlet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The angle is repositioned and drilled out to support the 2.5" hard drive. Additional support is also installed for the middle of the blower.

[​IMG]

The blower's original grill is installed, Its PCI bracket tab will be Dremeled off later to allow it to fit up against a flat surface.

[​IMG]

I don't know why. I think its a cool photo. It all fits like a glove.

10. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

This is SO GOOD!

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Dude, awesome, just awesome. I love your work and as always, you don't disappoint.

12. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

:jawdrop:

holy moly... that so awesome!

13. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks guys! :thumb:

[​IMG]

I needed more material so I added these blocks into the Matrix. I'm just playing around with this stepped "How many bars do you get? photo.

[​IMG]

Added some more material to bring the back out some.

[​IMG]

Shaped the back end with my trusty sandpaper block.

[​IMG]

Trimmed up the back of the side panels to bring it all together. Notice the small ledge that was created just inside the box

[​IMG]

A piece of sheet aluminum is cut and fit up using the ledge as support.

[​IMG]

In these last three photos you might notice two small notches on the top and bottom box edge. These are two channels carved into the inside of the box. The edge of the motherboard fits into these channels and guide it when pushing the cartridge in and out.

[​IMG]

Pr0n

[​IMG]

This photo brought to you by....Bawls. The quality name in LAN party jitters.

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

Some shaping is being done to the curve across the top of the end caps.

[​IMG]

Everything is still mirror image between the upper and lower end caps. This is about to change.

[​IMG]

I filled in the back half of the upper piece with basswood blocks. I call this the cubist dreadlocks shot.

[​IMG]

Everything is finally glued up and set aside to dry. Just before doing this I cut a section out of each side of the interior box to open it up for ventilation. These gaps will be hidden behind the side trim.

[​IMG]

The dreadlocks get knocked down and some serious sanding begins.

[​IMG]

Work is concentrated on the fresh edges formed by the newly mated sub-sections.

[​IMG]

Working hard to eliminate any evidence of the seams between subsections. Additional sanding to get the final shape I want will continue for quite some time.

15. The boy 4rm oz

16. Carpet3

Carpet3 Member

Looks really interesting :)

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

The Thinker shows up for a detailed inspection. Everyone's a critic. I installed the side panel trim. Air gets drawn into the case by going around these trim pieces and through the hidden gap behind them.

[​IMG]

Work starts on the mounting lug.

[​IMG]

Several pieces get glued up and clamped together.

[​IMG]

The lug's shape is drawn onto the block. The legs are designed to fit tightly into the Matrix. The contact surface is gently curved to match the case's mating surface.

[​IMG]

Work is progressing on the lug and the front trim pieces. I painted the case's recesses flat black in order to get a better contrast. The ventilation "gap" can be clearly seen in this photo.

[​IMG]

The mounting lug is inserted into the bottom of the case. Sloppy paint will soon disappear with a few strokes of sandpaper.

[​IMG]

Profiling.

Bad_cancer likes this.
  18. sethnmalice

sethnmalice New Member

Absolutely Brilliant!!!

19. The boy 4rm oz

+1

20. Carpet3

Carpet3 Member

+1 as well :)