1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uni's Rack Farm [updated thread structure 2 accomodate new 20K character post limit]

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Unicorn, 9 May 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Just a quick update to say that my online stats are working again (See sig for link). I'm changing the site they are hosted on soon to www.UnicornSystems.co.uk, but that site is still under construction so the stats won't be moved for another while.

2. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Looking really good Uni :)

3. Unicorn

Cheers :) You'll notice that I have lost the Notfred virtual SMP client running on the A64 6400BE, that's because for some reason that machine won't boot up with the second 1Gb module of RAM in it at the moment. I'll get it up on the bench in the workshop asap and see what the problem is. I hope my new K9A2 hasn't killed a RAM module!

4. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Hi Uni, You have just shown up on my radar as a threat, will have to get the water cooling going so that i can add another gpu :naughty::naughty:

5. Unicorn

Nowai, really? Haha that's crazy. You're well over a million and I'm nowhere near :hehe: Oh well, to give you an idea, I've maxed out my PPD for now as I am desperately trying to kurb the spending so I can afford the rack build sometime before 2009 is out :D

EDIT: 4.3 months isn't much of a threat really, I'm sure you'll have no problems shaking me off before... *counts*... November :lol:

6. Taffy

I have been thinking of this rack business, as I have mentioned before I have a 5ft rack spare and I have been cleaning out my loft of old radio rubbish. I used to build lots in the old days. However I have a spare chimney :confused: it is just a short vertical from the loft up the stack, and it has a vent in the side, I found a large 240Volt fan which I used to ventilate an old underfloor space in a previous house.
    Now if I fitted that to the top of the rack it would blow a gale up the chimney, and help the cooling somewhat, however I dont know how much noise it would make for the Neighbour, but who cares :eyebrow::jawdrop::D:D

7. Unicorn

Do it, DO IT NOW! :D

My rack is a pipe dream, and I'm not very far along the pipe just yet unfortunately. I've spent the last two days doing the end of month paperwork (I hate paperwork, and leave it all til the end of each month -.-), and it seems things are a bit grim at the moment. I have other things in the works though, and I can't stop thinking about this project!

8. Unicorn

Double post, the internets were broke for a moment there ;)

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I've got one of the short rack cases on order for another project.
    When it arrives I'm going to see if there's enough space to dremel out the extra slot

10. Unicorn

Very nice, let us know how it goes, I assume you mean one of the models that I have mentioned in this thread? As some of you may notice, I am slowly but surely cutting back production at the moment to keep the electricity costs down. Hopefully it will be enough to allow me to afford building the farm in a couple of months time and triple or even quadruple my PPD at that point.

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I've ordered one of these.
    A bit different but looks promising

12. Taffy

Hi Uni, I noticed that you have dropped off my radar, Now I know why :thumb:

13. Unicorn

Yeah, my last leccy bill was four figures mate, which is SO bad it's not even funny. I love folding, but at this rate I will never be able to afford spending the extra cash on the farm. I could build it right now, and run it for a year solid, but I'm afraid the bills wouldn't get paid and some people (LIKE NIE) would probably get very very angry with me :p

I passed 700K yesterday. I'd love to hit 1M as soon as possible but it might take longer than I thought because I have had to drop production.

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Welcome to the club mate. I'm hitting £6k a year

15. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

That is the ONE and ONLY thing holding me back, I would imagine most others too. Really NEED more cards but terrified about what the wife will say when the bill hits the mat!!:sigh:

Now, how do I find next doors supply? :D

16. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You just need to find a cheap all inclusive rented office to move in to.

17. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Can you let me know what they are like SAS and if you got any pics of the inside that would be top mate! :thumb:

18. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Will do. If I can mod it for the extra cooling space then it's perfect. Apparently it's with DHL at the moment.

I'm looking at putting 5 of them in a rack in my new office.

19. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Cheers bud, am thinking along the same lines as I have freed up about 20u in a rack and would like to build my rigs into rack mount cases for neatness as opposed to 4 random towers sat about looking messy! :)

20. Unicorn

Same here to be honest. I do allright but I have another years university fees to be thinking about, the car fund is strictly for the cars only and if I ever want the rack built I have got to cut back a bit. Not totally, I'd never do that at this point, but just tone it down a little ;)

£6K a year on electricity is scary stuff. If I continued down the path I am on at the moment, I could be close to 5 on folding and the house alone, not inclusing the workshop.

I have been working on the site of a new factory for the past couple of days and they have a solar roof to heat their water, a solar panel clad wall to generate electricity for the LED lights that illuminate the factory and the adjoining offices, and several wind turbines are on their way for the site, also to provide electricity. I think I need to go eco friendly and move my machines somewhere where they can be cooled properly and powered for less.

That would work, but I am sadly certain that no such thing exists over here. I'd be working out of one already if it was available.