1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other universal or UK/US 3/4 gang lead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 1 Dec 2019.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm buying more and more stuff with US leads and I'm getting tired of using adapters.

It would be nice to find a decent 3/4 gang lead that supports US and UK plugs and if possible, a few fast charge USB ports.

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the brands on Amazon: Mscien, AUOPLUS, MOXOM, Hulfer, iBlockCube.

Does anyone have experience with of these? Sometimes they have a really loose fit.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Assuming the devices are 110/230V safe, which they must be if you're plugging them into a single trailing socket... Why not cut the US plugs off and wire UK plugs on?

edzieba, wolfticket and goldstar0011 like this.
  3. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't have a soldering iron and this isn't an option with fast charge plugs. I could buy new ones but they are £30 each for the Huawei and Oneplus.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You don't need a soldering iron to wire a plug.

If you can find a us extension that can deal with a uk supply you could just change the plug on the extension.

Or buy one like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-...d&qid=1575231808&sprefix=us+to+uk+ext&sr=8-12

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Apologies, my bad.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm not keen on universal sockets for regular use. Plugs sockets are tightly specified for a reason, especially UK ones.

My weapon of choice when I can't/can't be bothered to cut swap plugs over are Poundland adaptors.

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

I was hoping to find one that has UK and US plugs separately like in China, but no luck.

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Personally, I took a UK extension bar, and chopped the UK wall plug off it, and fitted an EU plug to it. Could you do the same in reverse? Get a US extension bar and fit a UK plug to it?

Jeff Hine likes this.
  10. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

I've got one of these buds. While they're not great they get the job done without being finicky with adapters, and take a kettle / PC lead to the wall.
    [​IMG]

11. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Only problem with this approach is plugging 110V eqp't into it... you'd need to make sure it was a grounded/earthed unit, too.

12. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think this could be quite neat, albeit with a nice bold "240V ONLY" written on it. Maybe cut the US lead short and daisy chain with a UK one for neatness (as long as you're sensible with overall cable length and power use).

13. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 It was funny when I was 12

Just as long as you get a power strip (don't get a surge protector, as it may be voltage sensitive) from the US, it works fine chopping the end off or using a travel adapter. I did it in Australia and my folks have done it on their last two trips to the EU/UK and it works fine.

silk186 likes this.
  14. Osgeld

Osgeld Active Member

was about to say buy a US plug power strip and change the end for a UK model boom dun

15. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Yeah, I mean, most things are auto switching these days, but would need to do this for sure.

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

This. Or if you think screwdrivers are icky, some of those enclosure-type plug adapters (e.g.). This way anything that can take 230V has a 230V plug, and anything that needs 100V only retains an obviously-not-230V plug.

Having sockets that look like 110V outlets but are really 230V is just a summoning circle for the Magic Blue Smoke.

17. silk186

silk186 Derp

I picked up one of these when I accidentally order a Philips LED lamp with an EU plug after relocating to the UK.

I have a number of devices now, induction hot plate, HUAWEI 40W SuperCharge Charger and Oneplus warp charger. The drone came with a brick charger as well but I don't think it matters which it uses.
    The universal extension leads are fine to use. In fact, pretty all power strips sold in China are universal. The difference is that I can buy major brands like Philips and Bull, a major Chinese brand for adapters, surge and power strips.
    I lived in China for many years but I don't recognize any of the brands sold on Amazon.

[​IMG]