1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice University Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stephen0205, 27 Mar 2019.

1. stephen0205

stephen0205 Active Member

Hi guys

Looking for a little advice , so i got into uni and ill be going back to do computer networking and cyber security. Was having a look at the course load and was talking to the network guy at the work.

Hes kindly given me a few old nas boxes and switches to play with the now, but he did mention to save me time at the uni i might be best upgrading so i could run a bunch of virtual machines at home.

So at the moment i have a intel xeon 1245 v3, which im sure is 4 core 8 thread. Im on an itx build, i might go back to a big case just because of cost, selling my stuff and switching would level out or cost me only a little compared to alot to go itx again.

I was thinking ryzen, but having a look the gen 3's are about to come out. Look at at the comparison from gen 1 to gen 2, i might just buy a gen 1 for cost, i was thinking the 1600 or the 1700 possibly x models, just for more cores, and more threads , get it as close 4ghz or slightly higher, i can see they dont oc well.

I have raid zero on my ssds but i think i quite fancy one of the m.2 slots. The read and write of some of those things are nice, altho i can see not quite as straight forward as that in real world usage.

So, anyone done networking that can give some advice. Im already on the hunt for a second monitor to match my first one so i can multitask a little better. I start september so plenty of time to go but i have started watching some of the ccna stuff already as i dont wanna go in blind, i know a little but not alot.

Any advice would be great. :)

(oh forgot my spec)
    Xeon 1245 v3 (4th gen i think)
    16gb ddr3 1600mhz
    asrock itx board
    dual 480gb ssd in raid zero
    1tb 7200rpm drive
    1070ftw (gonna get rid of for the strix edition i think prefer the quiteness )
    All in a raven rz01 (or 02) case)
    650watt corsair sp psu

Last edited: 27 Mar 2019
  2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

This is 100% my career. It’s RAM not cores you will need. I have 32GB and it's nowhere near enough. The kind of software VMs you will be virtualising will want 4GB-8GB RAM each, and you'll need a few to get anywhere.

If you don't mind the noise, this is a bargain for 96GB RAM fitted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Pow...224500?hash=item5922389b74:g:gR0AAOSwEp5cUaya

It has two of these fitted, for a total of 16 threads

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...70-8m-cache-2-93-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

Just needs a couple of hard drives cramming in caddies.

This one isn't as cheap but more cores, the CPU is a 'L' low voltage model, and it also comes with two SSD to get you started.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ProLi...030347?hash=item23b164d38b:g:Ii8AAOSw8Vtb60Ph

I have six HP 500GB drives that will fit in this I could do for a mega deal just to get them gone (they are on ebay for £50 each but would do all six for £50 delivered to help you out if you wanted).

Last edited: 27 Mar 2019
  3. stephen0205

Wow lots of info thank u

Yeah I had been on vmwares website looking and then thinking about how many machines to run , os to run, might incorporate a Nas / Plex server / file server, few test clients.

The cheaper ones with the 96gb look a good shout but if massively loud then yeah probably opt for something quieter. Gives me time to save a little.

Probably just keep my rig the same if I buy something like this anyhow.

If u don't mind me asking, what does your job cover, you guys use massive server racks or smaller operation , work with virtual machines for alot of things ?

Just curious

4. Zoon

I've been in my career line for 19 years so far, so I've done a bit of everything. I've done both small offices and datacentre (well, co-lo rack environments). Everything in the past ten years has been virtualised either with Hyper-V or VMware vSphere, but of course, both of these need tin to run on either way.

I'd suggest if you want a NAS that you get a low end box just to be your NAS. You build it and you leave it alone! You want your data safe, and available. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dwR4bX - pick up the smallest cheapest case you can, and a couple of storage drives, and put openmediavault or FreeNAS on it. I've used the former extensively and it'll just sit there and work. Gimme a nudge if you want any install tips - it's better to install into a manual build of Debian because then the teamviewer plugin will work and you can make it headless, but it's up to you. Or buy an actual hard drive with a network port.

Your server should be for testing stuff out only. You want to be able to bin stuff off, reboot, restart, play around, turn it off when you want peace and quiet, etc.

If you decide you want some VMs online permanently, you can either consider docker instances or full VMs on your openmediavault box - you could always put 16GB of RAM in it to give you some flexibility. For example, my openmediavault NAS also runs a docker instance for pihole quite happily, as well as running Plex, pyLoader, and sabnzbd on the bare tin.

Both of those servers I gave are not things you're going to want on all day long: but you're going to need 4GB for any Windows-based VM, plus heaps more for the actual applications on it for example - and if you're running something like eve-ng on it for network virtualisation you will want to throw 16GB or 24GB at that ... 32GB for a desktop computer is doable, but far from cheap. YOu can get 64GB or 96GB RAM pre-populated on these servers and you can just shut it all down when you're done with it.

Look at the Dell T series and the HP ML series for tower versions which won't take up as much floor space and are often quieter than those rack space units I spotted; however that Dell R610 was a flipping steal and with a couple cheap hard drives for the caddies would probably see you through your whole degree.

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'd throw in another vote for something like a HP ML series server as a test bed. I've got one with a couple TB of storage (SAS and SSD) and 128GB - its great for running VM workloads. I don't get involved so much in the direct network config other than occasionally helping with datacentre wiring or server relocation. I work mostly with VM's, vSphere, Hyper-V and currently AHV I'd guess around 400 servers in total. I went into this type of work from 10 years as a deskside field engineer so software, imaging, scripting that kind of stuff. I found it a nice move going into the server side of the world, I think the type of work I enjoy fits more into this side.

I you do end up getting a server I can most likely help with HDDs and RAM to bump up the spec a little to help out - Mine is very loud to start up but once going its not too bad if you just keeping it on while you've testing new ideas etc.

Like zoon I've got some always on VM's at home for a gaming server, pfsense, sabnzbd etc all running on top of UNRAID as a NAS solution on standard desktop hardware and find it hard to fault so might be worth a look for you

6. Brett89

Brett89 Active Member

To bandwagon the RAM comment, my server has an i7-3770s and 32GB of RAM, I'm running out of RAM before I'm running out of CPU. A few VMs can share a core a lot more easily than they can share RAM in my opinion. This won't always be the case with all VMs. If I didn't have cheap hardware from previous employment, I'd want to go the Dell R720/710 or HP DL route.

7. stephen0205

thanks for the advice fellas.

Course starts September, gonna leave my gaming rig as is, but defo worth a shout for the server to play with for my time at uni i think, time to save and speak nice to the missus. And thank you for the offer for the drives, im falling over them here, i have a bunch of sky boxes i haven't salvaged them from yet lol.

Seems to be a fair choice in ones with 96gb ram on ebay from hp and dell, all look to be rather loud from the reviews, but im sure i can sort something out, not something ill be running all the time. My nas tho will be separate, looks to be a synology one the fella from work is giving me, hes found another with a duff psu as well so i may fix that too.

Time to look at cat 6ing the house, get a nice switch, fix the flaky wifi and start the planning / saving for what im gonna need for uni. No double u will see the help threads for picking stuff .

Thank you all

8. Zoon

Powerline AV will help a lot for your ethernet needs. Just spend out for the 2000Mbps kit as your backbone and a couple small switches maybe.

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Currently Rebuilding

Have you thought about something like a Z800? Huge RAM capacity, dual hexacores, and a good deal quieter. That or a Precision T7500. If you trade up to the 820 or 7600 you get 2011 processors and even larger core counts.

It also opens up the possibility of stuff like 10GbE cards. The 7600 fits RAID cards and a fair few drives, the rest fit about four each.

I've worked a bunch with this stuff, even though I'm stateside I'll help with what I can.