1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Unlikely Covers You'd Love to Hear

Discussion in 'General' started by Prestidigitweeze, 11 Dec 2008.

1. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

At the moment, I'm in the mood to listen to a despairing cover of "I Have a Little Dreidel" by Joy Division, Depeche Mode or some similarly disillusioned 80s band. I can practically hear Ian Curtis chanting, "A dreidel! A dreidel!" in his patented tone-deaf waking-nightmare baritone. I can also picture him thrashing in agony between the phrases.

For that matter, I'd love to hear Paul Lynde lisp a snotty rendition of "Love Will Tear Us Apart."

What about you, dear poster? What songs would you like to hear covered by which artists?

Last edited: 11 Dec 2008
  2. caff

caff What's a Dremel?

A couple of months ago i saw The Smashing Pumpkins at The o2, best.. Gig.. EVER!

But funnily enough halfway through the set they did a cover of the popular girls aloud song 'call the shots'

Strange but very nice little cover! :eek:

Caff.

n.b. i am not a girls aloud fan

3. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

One of my all time favourite covers is Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. Fantastic reinterpretation.

The other stunner was the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain doing Smells Like Teen Spirit of Jools Holland's Hootenany.

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Sort of a cover, (alright, it's a parody) Smells like Nirvana by Weird Al.

5. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

no use for a name - this is a rebel song

6. Prestidigitweeze

I'm glad you clarified you're not a Girls Aloud fan, caff, because my opinion of you would have really hit the skids. (Who are they, again?)

Other covers I'm suddenly in the mood to hear:
    • Yeah Yeah Yeahs: "Every Little Breeze Seems to Whisper Louise"
    • Lali Puna: "Rumble," by Link Wray
    • Brighter Death Now: Either "Nun will die Sonn' so hell aufgeh'n" (from Mahler's Kindertotenlieder) or the endless whine of a defective difibrillator
    • Great Highland Bagpipes: "The Twist," by Chubby Checkers

7. Prestidigitweeze

Terribly sorry to keep posting. I really have to stop.

This will be my last for some time due to my steely resolve (actually, I have to leave work now and left my cell at home like the intimidating frantic malamute I am):

• Whitehouse (or Sutcliffe Jugend): "The Rum Tum Tugger," from the musical, Cats
    • Kraftwerk: "Paperback Writer"

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'd really love to hear an album of "Pink Floyd Sings Disney", or even better, "Portishead Sings Disney"

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

that would be great beyond all imagination. it would also be cool to hear radiohead cover 'man in the mirror' by michael jackson.

talking about real, genuine covers, i've become obsessed by a version of alphaville's 'big in japan' sung by Ane Brun. seriously, check it out, it's amazing.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Rage Against The Machine covering Alanis Morissette's 'Ironic' with some awesome guitar solo in the middle.

now THAT would be a CHOOOON.

11. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Excellent, I now have Beth Gibbons singing 'In the jungle' going through my head. That is seriously messed up.

12. caff

caff What's a Dremel?

Well I'm glad now that we know each other soo well i can still consider you one of my friends, lol! Seriously though Girls Aloud can stfu. Just thought it was a fun little cover by good old Billy Corgan.

Caff.

13. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Actually, for those not familiar with it, Richard Thompson's cover of "Oops I did it again" is well worth a listen. As he points out, it is a cracking song, just very poorly executed.

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

One of the Bill Bailey dvd's has him doing the Hokey Kokey with kraftwerk its... well... weird.

Linkage

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'd like to hear "Male Stripper" by Man 2 Man done by Black Sabbath please :D

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Some I actually have (Yes, I'm sad :D):-

Weird Al - Full back catalogue
    "Heavy Abba" - CD of Abba tracks by metal bands (inc "Lay All Your Love On Me" by Helloween!)
    Several Richard Cheese CDs - "Smack My B*tch Up" & "Insane in the Membrane" in a Vegas lounge singer style.
    Bluegrass tributes to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd & Aerosmith - Got the urge for these from listening to Hayseed Dixie.
    Elvis & Beatles tracks covered by The Looney Tunes - "Are You Lonesome Tonight" by Porky Pig.
    "Butchering The Beatles" - A metal tribute to the Fab Four.

All findable on Amazon/iTunes etc. :thumb:

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Anyone - "Another Brick in the Wall Pt II" :duh:

In all honesty I'd like to hear Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth covered by Opeth.

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The same concert also has him doing Portishead singing "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah":

19. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Can't think of anything original. but covers I love are Cradle Of Filth's version of "Mr. Crowley", Within Temptation and Placebo's cover of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill".

Joe

20. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

if you like strange covers - children of bodom do some strange ones such as the final countdown and britney spears oops i did it again