1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unlocking athalon xp 2100+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Asphix, 24 Jun 2002.

1. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

Whatsup all.. just have a few questions.. Today i got my athlon xp 2100+ in the mail.. not gonna do anythign with it till tomorrow when my case comes in. Anyway, the question is i was reading around and read an article that said that unlocking the xp 2100+ required more than the fill the gaps and connect the L1 bridges.. you need to take a dremil and break apart some other connections to make the motherboard think that the processor is an XP 1600+... Now im new to the whole overclocking scene.. i could have handled the old method but theres no way i can take a dremel to a CPU and have it come away in one piece.. is there an easier way to unlock the CPU?

Also.. in the article they said that that method was only needed on the newer chips that were green instead of brown. My 2100+ is brown not green but the L10 and L3 and L4 connections are the same as the green 2100+..

Oh, and another question.. I know with my motherboard i can just change the multiplier through the bios.. what is the significance of unlocking the chip? does it allow you to go further than the motherboard allows? If someone could take a min to explain these things to me id greatly appreicate it.

Thanks

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

hey dude,

welcome to the forum and enjoy ur stay:D (cheese voice:p but seriously...:eyebrow: )

erm the colour of it only represents the die used in that batch of athlon xp processor...

the unlocking will allow you (motherboard dependant) to change the multiplier, which is factory disabled, so without unlocking it you wont be able to do it even if the mobo supports it...

erm, i havent heard about the dremeling bit, but the athlon xp is a lot hard to unlock...:cries:

hope this helps....

3. Mcseiam

Mcseiam What's a Dremel?

try this guy... he is a freind of mine and will unlock any AMD proc (including the XP2100+) for $30 using a permanent solder method that doesnt require hacking into the thing with a dremel... :eeek:

Here is his website:
    http://ada-interlock.com/XPmod/

Check it out.... ;)

4. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

Yeah... i read in another post about that guy. You say hes your friend? i dont know how I feel about sending my processor to someone I dont know who isnt an official business or anything like that. But i noticed hes located in New Jersey.. thats not far from me (connecticut).. Do you think there would be a problem if i drove down there and dropped it off for a couple hours or something and then came back later that day and picked it up? Or does he not work that way?

and thanks for the welcome and information felix