1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Unlocking GTX 480

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bugste81, 22 Apr 2011.

1. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

Does any one know if its possible to unlock the 16th stream processor cluster on a GTX 480

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Do you know why it has been disabled? Also notice that you don't have a higher 400 series.
    It is because the card creates too much heat that the heatsink can't handle it. Also, don't expect the card to be stable in any shape or form, as I doubt they did any tests.

P.S: Magma will come out of your GPU.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2011
  3. derpooch

derpooch What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing it has been lasered off, that tends to be nVidia's style, no

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Only if you want another Chernobyl in your house.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Could be an easy way to create fusion though, although you'd need it to bring your power bill down...

derpooch likes this.
  6. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

It is possible to keep it cool with the right cooler, but I haven't heard of anyone being able to unlock it. That said the 580 coming out might help anyone who was trying to do this.

Keep a fire extinguisher and some spare fuses handy! :lol:

7. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

And warn your neighbour when the white-hot core melts through your living room floor...

8. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=25876

"According to the review, the 512-core card hits 94°C after just five minutes of Furmark stress testing, and power consumption rises right the way up to 644W. That's an incredible 204W (50.9 per cent) more than a standard 480-core card."

9. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Well isn't one of the features of the 500 series the fact that it detects furmark and down-clocks itself to prevent crazy power draws. The fact fermi and furmark don't get along too well seems to be well known, so maybe it would be alright for general use.

That said I would be surprised if there is a reason it is disabled, or if Nvidia has replaced the 16th core with some crazy power sucking loop! :eeek:

10. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

I very much doubt that is correct in any way, shape of form. It's yields. If the heatsink couldn't handle the heat then the 400 series wouldn't support software volt-modding.

11. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

just LOL @ everyone's comments towards nuclear reactor amounts of heat :| but like pete said (although I'd be pretty sure it was lasered of when it left the factory as deerpooch said) at least we would finally have a way of creating renewable energy, in the form of nuclear fusion :D

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I want to see some idiot SLI two of those unlocked versions in a Testbench. The fans would warp from the heat, then throw bits of burning hot plastic acrost the room, followed by the worlds first global Brown-out as they got warmed up. Then a Global Power-surge from the Resultant Fusion Reactor.

13. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

...or one could just slap a waterblock on it and call it a day.

Personally I'm happy there's at least one piece of computer hardware atm which actually doesn't turn watercooling into complete waste of time, money and case space.

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Touche.

I'd run it on a separate loop though, to save all the other components from it's fiery wrath.

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The problem is that you solve the idle temperature problem. Under load, your water will boil :)

16. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Yes but the card runs hot enough to keep your 100% copper coolant in a liquid state :thumb: