1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Unnamed Scratch build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tubesock, 6 Jun 2010.

1. tubesock

tubesock What's a Dremel?

First poster but here's goes, I've been wanting a new rig for a while now and when I finally decided to move to WC I really didn't want to lug around a massive case, so now I'm building one.

I have been working on the design for a fair while now, and decided to make it out of 25mm aluminium tube. I mainly chose to use such a thick material for the frame to hide wires, and also because it is light and VERY robust. I wanted this thing to be as small as possible but with the thermal performance of a big case, with a 360mm radiator at the front providing intake to the system, and two 120mm fans exhausting hot air. Both the CPU and GPU are going to be under water.

Here's a few concepts done in Google SketchUp:

The frame:
    [​IMG]

Case concepts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cutting up the material, it sure doesn't look like 6 metres.. (with only a hacksaw and a file... broken dropsaw ftl):
    [​IMG]

And where I am up to now thanks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a mock up of where everything will be:
    [​IMG]

It's really strong compared to what it weighs (which I don't know much because the bathroom scale is reading it wrong, but it isn't much at all) But I can sit on it without fear of it breaking/flexing at all.

I think Ill do as much as I can with the insides until I get the shell made for it elsewhere. I'm thinking of doing the back of the motherboard tray and some HDD racks/rad stand and maybe even the top/bottom.

Also I will be making the motherboard in BTX form factor, so basically flipped upside down and on the 'wrong' side of the case. All the cables for fans, mobo, pump, everything will be routed within the frame. Oh and the corners are held using connectors I bought at a hardware store.

Thanks for looking, all criticism and ideas are welcome!