1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Unpaid students building PS4s at Foxconn

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 11 Oct 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Foxconn makes so much stuff this would not really surprise me. In truth though surely a interns duty is to learn the business he / she hopes to be in one day. That would surely include the building and manufacturing of these items.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I'm sure if it was "XboxOnes" in the title, everyone would going Bats**t crazy now.

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

So whats the news here? They are getting experience of the real world.

I called a volunteer agency the other day "sorry we're fully booked won't be able to take on anyone for at least 6 months"

Lol, you can't even work for nothing government muppets have no idea.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Very true.

I'd have to say that I think I'll try avoiding Foxconn from now on. I always knew they had cheap products but now I know why.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Capitalism at its finest ;)

7. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

No issue with this whatsoever. We want PS4's... Someone has to build them....

And if we're helping some young talent towards their graduation even better!!

8. Snips

I'm not sure if its helping anyone "legally" by the sound of things.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Good luck avoiding fox con. Want to own a ps4 or Xbox one they are made there . Most major mobile players use them.

Nintendo dell hp list of companies who use fox con is huge. And that does not include parts that are fitted that you would never know about.

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Thats the problem, Foxconn make bits and pieces for just about everyone.

11. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers.
    But what's the real cost?
    ‘Cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper.
    Why are we still paying so much for sneakers
    When you got them made by little slave kids
    What are your overheads?

Flight of the Conchords - 'Think about it'

rici1241 likes this.
  12. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Agreed, And who would be silly enough to fall into this trap and not step away from it ? This happens in the UK with the unemployed at the moment, being made to work for the largest chain stores for el zilcho. People need to learn to say NO to being exploited.

13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

And this is why government is so important. It is there to protect and serve the people. Unfortuantely what we have is croney capitalism (borderline fascism to a degree). The governement serves big business, not the people who elect it. Of course in China this point is somewhat moot, but the same type of things happen in the UK and USA.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, that's not entirely true, is it? Benefits are not "el zilcho".

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Its only "illegal" cause some muppet in a suit said it is. Probably so he could win a popularity contest and to be able to look down his nose at other people.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We have psychology graduates working with us on a honorary (read: unpaid) contract. That does not mean that we can exploit them to do all our photocopying. We have an obligation to give them meaningful work experience. The British Psychological Society has quite strict rules about that, no messing.

Getting graduates to churn out PS4s on long shifts may be useful work experience in experiencing first hand how laborers get exploited, for sure. But it is still exploitation for all involved. Something to remember the next time you bitch about the price of your gadgets.

17. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Cloud Atlas although the most boring movie I've seen in many years was about slavery through the ages. This is modern day slavery. Exploitation driven by greed. You can say they're getting "real world experience" but you can say that about any crime.

18. Snips

Goddamnit! sorry to swear but lets start one of those Change.org sign up thingy's and let's start a boycott of PSBore when it comes out!!!

Today we don't like Fony........right?

19. Deders

Deders Modder

It's barely enough for housing and essentials when everything is factored in so it's pretty close to slavery:

[​IMG]

Back on topic, IMO this does not bode well for PS4's. I'll quote from a review of a machine in a recent £500 gaming PC roundup.

"All the other rigs in this test have been well made, despite the budget leanings of this feature...........This machine however feels like it was built by the work experience kid who worked in ********'s lab for a couple of weeks. The work experience kid who obviously had no interest in getting a job at the end of his stint"

Some of the issues included:

Wanted to boot directly from the network
    3rd party CPU cooler is permanently at 100%
    Catalyst Drivers weren't installed
    The 1TB hard drive had to be initialised via disk management.

I happen to have worked in the same building as the people who made this computer (with a different company) and I know they recently got rid of a load of there staff and had people working for free from either internships or government schemes (which I have seen abused in the past where companies just get rid of the interns and apply for more instead of employing them) and it really shows in the quality of the build. I'm surprised Sony aren't more concerned with such an important product for them.

20. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I don't really see the problem, a lot of interns work for nothing and while it may be pretty rubbish experience, its better than them sat doing nothing.

Tags: Add Tags