1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Untimely Be advert

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookeyhead, 10 Aug 2010.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I see bit has an advertising deal with Be* that gives 2 months free... one week after I signed up with Be*.....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Gutted but I think you'll be generally happy with Be in the end.

I got cut off by BT and messed about alot, Be were really good at helping getting reconnected and even started calling me with updates etc etc, can't fault the service

3. Pookeyhead

Yeah Be have been good so far. Slightly annoying that they use Indian call centres, but at least they are knowledgeable.

I love the way you can fine tune your profiles from the main page: Stability, intermediate, and max speed.

They advised me I'd get 16Mb, and on the fastest profile, I do (although I've opted for the 14Mb intermediate profile due to a couple of drop outs).

Recommended.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Can you say "bandwidth cap"? Get ready for it! Unless you're on the "no srsly, we'll never cap you, no matter how much you pound the bandwidth with downloads and uploads" tariff. That one costs about £30/month from o2, so it'd be about the same from the folks at Be.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I pay £10 a month on O2 and have never, ever been capped, downloading on average 30GB a week (sometimes much more). I don't think Pook has anything to worry about, and it's not like there's any better ISPs out there.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

India? AFAIK the call centre is in Bulgaria: https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/call_centre

Great ISP, can't fault them.

Bandwidth cap? What bandwidth cap? BE don't cap: https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/compareproducts.

7. Unicorn

£7.50/month on o2 also. At the start of the year, when living away from home, my average download at this address was 5GB per week, and I was getting 7.5Mb speeds down steady, and around 2Mb up. I start to use the connection more, maybe downloading around the same as yourself and sometimes much more, and I get capped to no more than 100k with no warning, no correspondance at all. Now it's back to 200k, but never gets above that. What's the deal?! I've called to complain a couple of time but they just don't care.

o2 do, and I know this for a fact. As far as I know, o2 == Be. So the tariffs, connection speeds, availability and pricing are all the same as well. Maybe I've been wrong about that though.

8. Pookeyhead

9. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Maybe they've sent their indians to bulgaria :naughty:

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

As the guy above me has also posted Be don't cap anything. I've downloaded hundreds of gigs in a month without a word from them, and seen people on the Be forums admitting to sending/recieving upwards of a terabyte of data every month without Be saying anything. Frankly it's probably one of their biggest selling points, especially now other ISPs are offering ADSL2+, so I can't see them making any changes to their policy unless they have no other option.

11. Unicorn

Well that's settled then. Be here I come. I'm about sick of being kicked off the first game server I join because of time outs, then being able to play for hours on end after that. WHY do I time out of that first server?!

And tbh, living a stone's throw from the telephone exchange (no seriously, I could almost spit on it from our front door) and only a mile outside the city, getting only a 200k download speed is piss poor and something needs to be done about it. Especially when I know I can get upwards of 700k :rolleyes:

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Is that 200k all you ever get? Because if it is then it sounds like you've got an issue with your line which needs sorting.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Be don't, O2 do.

Yes, behind the branding they are the same provider, they just offer different services, and last I heard, at different prices too.

I'm on the 17.50 a month Be* contract, and I download a lot (400gb in the last 30 days, and that's a slow 30 days) of linux distros, never once have I been capped by Be*, nor even communicated with to say "Oi, what're you doing".

O2, though, are the Anti-Be*. Think of them as the Empire to the Rebelion.

14. Pookeyhead

If you're that close, you'll almost definitely get the full 24Mb with Unlimited, or Pro, although your current speeds suggest a line fault. Get that checked out. Or do you mean your actual download data rate is 200 kiloBYTES a second, and not 200 kiloBITS. Either way it's slow, but if your connection is synced at 200kb (not kB) then you have a line issue.

Pings on Be are great too. always around 15ms here for known good servers.

15. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

On the rare occasions I've had to phone them, or listened to their auto-message it's been Molotov Cocktease every time I swear... <3

^this.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010
  16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Check my link for the photo of Vader, I think she is moonlighting...

:D

17. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Hahaha I bet that is sooo the one I always speak to, awesome :D

18. Unicorn

No, I'm fairly sure there isn't anything wrong with the line. When I say 200k I mean 200 kiloBYTES, but just over 7 months ago, and from the start of our contract til that point, we were on a 7.5 (max 8) Megabit connection, and were receiving files at 700 kiloBYTES per second. o2 are known to "traffic manage" their customers who use a larger amount of the bandwidth, so I assumed that was what happened.

If any of the above data transfer units are wrong I apologize. I still have to think long and hard about transfer rates after all these years :sigh:

19. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

If your download speeds aren't getting above 200KB at any point whatsoever then you very likely have a line problem. As far as I know O2 only traffic manage people on their home access product, i.e. the one which doesn't use their LLU network. If you're not on that product and are instead on one that uses their LLU network, used to recieve 700KB/sec and now can't get above 200KB/sec then you should get your line checked.

20. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Sounds like you don't have a LLU enabled exchange, therefore O2 = BT Wholesale.

Switch to plusnet.

I can't believe how many times this has been repeated on this forum, if you can't get LLU, then DON'T get O2.

Besides that, it's possible that if you have switched the phone socket that your modem plugs into, you could be syncing at lower speeds due to bell wire interference.

Tags: