1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Unusually long Booting

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TeenGeek, 4 Sep 2012.

1. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

Hi all, i recently built a computer, and for a while it was booting up so quickly that the windows orbs couldn't even become the windows logo. Now when i start up my computer, it stays at the starting windows screen, with the windows logo, and takes a much longer time to actually get into windows. it used to be about a 20 second boot time, now it is around 45 seconds or more.
    -thanks in advance

Also, i was wondering if it could be a disc formatting issue, as i have never built my own computer before this one, and it has an SSD that i suppose should be formatted, so i was wondering how hard/ how long that would take (i already have a windows image/backup on my 3TB storage drive.)

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

If you've mounted any network drives they can add considerably to your boot time because, for some reason, even Windows 7 thinks it should delay the whole booting process to scan/wait-for network drives.

3. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

as far as drives go, the only things that i have on my computer are my boot drive (OCZ vertex 4, a seagate barracuda 3TB, and misc. usb drives/ usb CF readers that usually arent plugged into the computer on boot.) we don't even have a network of any type set up at the moment, since we just moved... my computer is pretty much the only one in the whole house

4. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Un-plug the 2nd HDD and see if it's quicker, or run diskcheck to see if there are any filesystem errors.

dunx

5. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

Have a look in msconfig on the startup tab and disable all the startup items. Then reboot and see if the startup time increases. If it does, start to reenable some of the disabled startup items.

6. RocketPotato

RocketPotato What's a Dremel?

Agreed, MSCONFIG is your friend for boot-up time issues.