1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors update: Got an MR2 (pics on page 3)

Discussion in 'General' started by mushky, 18 Nov 2005.

1. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I think I want to get an MR2 in March when my license is clean again (fingers crossed) but I don't know much about them really. is there anything I should look for in a 2nd hand one? Probably got about £2K to spend.

Which one is the best to get? I want a fast one. Do all the GTs have turbos or are some of them NA?

Are there any known things to look out for on these things from the early 90's?

Any info, help or suggestions much appreciated.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2005
  2. fatty

fatty Minimodder

A mate of mine had one and when a raditor hose went she was in all sorts of trouble it cost her a fortune to fix because they had to just about pull most of her engine out
    Why dont you try a supra or skyline??
    or settle for MR2

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

that one looks sick!....why not get a bog standard MR2 and add theferrari bodykit on it??...fake 360modena for a fraction of the price.

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Just in case you're not joking:
    Doesn't anyone who drives a fake Ferrari look like a tit?

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I just want a stock one really. I certainly don't want to make one look like a Ferrari. I'd rather spend the cost of that on a better car in the first place. :confused:

Fatty - I'd love a Supra but it's out of my price range at the moment. To be honest if I had near £10K to spend then I would be looking at old Porsches. I was originally thinking about getting a 944 but an mr2 looks like a more sensible option. It feels a bit strange for me to say that as I never seem to choose the sensible options :p

6. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

You could always go for an aw11 model, some of the jap imports come with a blower, finding ones the hard bit, stock uk spec models aren't bad tho, for a 1600 they certainly go some and the engines are pretty burst proof, all the 4ag engines fit, supercharged, 20 valve, turbo the choice is there , they go upto about 200+ bhp which in a little car like that is mad,
    meh always prefered the mk1 , like a mk1 golf it slimline version of lardy successors but good hunting

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

There are more than one version of the MK2 MR2

UK
    The N/A coupe 130BHP (5SFE engine) (no rear spoiler)
    The N/A GT 156 BHP (3SGE engine)

Japan (import)
    The N/A coupe 130BHP (5SFE engine) (no rear spoiler)
    The N/A G-Limited 156 BHP (3SGE engine)
    The Turbo GTS 200BHP (3SGTE)

In 96 they increased the power output of the GT/G-Limited and turbo, and revised the suspension, the increased power didn't yield an increase in speed though.

You can get either in T-bar, Sunroof or Tin top

Avoid the coupe 5SFE at all costs, it's not a real MR2, it's the same body, but got the engine they put in the American version of the car.
    And don't think about getting an auto (why Toyota did that I'll never know)

I've got the N/A GT and it's a fun car.
    Winter driving can take getting used to if you don't drive a RWD often.

Tyre wear on the front is non existent, but the rears tend to go, especially rear passanger side (roundabouts).

Suspension is rock hard and not to everyones taste.
    Space is at a premium, but the boot is big enough for most day to day stuff, just not suitcases, and don't think about putting a CRT i the boot (I couldn't).

My only regret was not buying the turbo, you get used to the N/A very quickly, and it's not long before you want quicker.
    The N/A will still hit 60 in under 7 secs and tops out about 140MPH

Things to check:
    Sticking front brake callapers, comon fault, usually needs replaced.
    Check coolant level, MR2 uses 4life Toyota coolant (red on imports, green on UK) not water, so people don't always keep it topped up.
    Check hand brake, if left on in freezing weather they get stuck and often need replaced.
    If getting a T-bar check all the rubber seals.
    Clutch should last a good 100,000 miles.
    Timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 - 80,000 miles, there should be a sticker on the cover to show last change. (If it does go it won't harm the engine, the MR2 has a non-interference design with valve shaped cut-outs in the heads of the piston so that, if a timing belt were to break the there should be no danger of damage. (but a replacement will be about £250)

Last edited: 18 Nov 2005
  8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Some great info there, thanks :thumb:

Having done some numbers and stuff I think I can spend up to £3K. That would have to include whatever checks I need doing.

I think I'm pretty much sold on the idea now. Either a mk2 gt rev 2 or 3, or possibly a turbo. The NA would be quick enough for now but am I right in thinking that the turbo has more modding potential?

I like hard suspension and I don't need any room in the boot for more than a small sub and a bit of shopping. Or just the sub ;)

Also - bonus - just looked at my license and it's now clean as far as insurance companies are concerned! :D I have never had a clean license ever so you can see why I'm a bit excited. The DR10 will be off in March too :D that will be 11 bloody years that thing has been on there. We all do stupid things at some point in our lives, but I've been suffering that one since I was 16. :blush:

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Ermm sub in the boot, just remember there will we an engine between you and the sub.
    Trust me in a 2 you don't need a sub, decend head unit and speakers will doo just fine (small enclosed cabin)
    I have a couple of 6x9's and 2x 15cm behind each seat in the cubby holes, 2x 10cm built into the side panel behind each seat, 2x 10cm in each door and 2x tweeters just below the wing mirrors and thats more than enough.

One thing I forgot to mention, the window washer refill bottle is in the front boot, with no engine there to produce heat it freezes in this weather and no matter what it won't thaw out.
    So you will be like find you carry a small bottle of water to splash over the windscreen when you get road spray.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2005
  10. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Lots of good info there, tho your model specs are well off.
    Go Here for a detailed run down on all of the 5 mk2 revisions. Ignore th prices as the site is well out of date but the rest is spot on!!!

Just want to point out that no N/A Mk2 MR2 will do 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Even the rare BEAMS jap 200bhp n/a won't break the 7 seconds barrier. And only the US turbo model has 200bhp. The jap models are 220 for rev1&2 and 245 for rev 3 onwards.

Good advice on parts and general checks tho :thumb:

I had a Jap Rev 1 GT turbo for years and loved it!! Beware of insurance and fuel costs tho but if you can, get one instead of a N/A. The difference in performance is astonishing.

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Rev3 official 0-60 was 7.7 seconds, the Rev1 & 2 are actually quicker.
    Most road tests get it to about 7 seconds.

Ohh and my mistake, the Jap turbo was closer to 220BHP 225PS

12. Silver Shamrock

Yeah the rev1&2's are booked at 7.4secs. Rev 1's are the quickest because of the smaller wheels:)

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Although we are going on about 0-60 times, which are not to shabby tbh, where the 2 comes into it's own is the mid range grunt, i will pull in 3rd and 4th so really great for overtaking (quoted torque values don't sound high, but when driving it feel much higher).

If you are not used to RWD be weary at first coming out of roundabouts in second gear, push too hard and the back end WILL step out, when you get used to the car you will love that, at first you will **** yourself.

14. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

oh and the cost of nappies is quite high in the first few months, especially in winter when you tend to **** yourself on a regular basis :wallbash:

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

just make sure its all check over before you get it, my mate recnetly got a mk1 MR2 and replaced the engine twice (blew up first time, second one dead) and had to have the gear linkage replaced too.

But they are nice cars, so long as, like everything, you get a good one :) :thumb:

16. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I'm totally hooked on getting one now. Maybe even within the next couple of months as it might be a bit cheaper in the winter? Thanks for all the help :)

Ideally I want a mint unmodded rev 3 Turbo but that depends on what I can get with my £3K. a Rev 2 would be cool also and probably more realistic.

I found a good insurance company http://www.bell.co.uk/ quoted me about £500 /year fully comp :eek: about 3 years ago it cost me £1200 to get 3rd party only on a 110bhp scirocco.

I have never owned a RWD car but I've played loads of racing games/sims :D I know it's not the same but I do have an understanding of what to be aware of when finding my limits.

17. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

When you go RWD, you'll never go back to fwd! Sooooo much fun on grind(SP?)-parking lots! But it does require alot of attention when driving in the wet, especially with 200bhp..! Have no experience with that car.. So no info either. But good luck none the less!

L

18. fatty

fatty Minimodder

I had a 320bhp mazda RX-2 back in oz rear wheel drive ohhh the fun that was, I had a stock rim on the rear beacuse one of my mags got a flat so when I stuck the boot in in the wet the car would just drift side ways in a straight line :)

19. mushky

mushky gimme snails

All very exciting words :D

I found a mint rev2 Turbo with full history for £3,500, totally unmodded except for the air filter. It's a lot more than what I originally planned on spending but I think it's worth the extra as it is hard to find unmodded ones. Never was one for pre-mods.

20. Silver Shamrock

Nice one!! GT or GT-S? Does the history include Jap history or just from when it was imported? What colour? (black is best:)) Have a look in the passenger footwell, has it still got the original Jap flare? What's the mileage?

Now get yourself over to the MR2 owners club and register. They are an extremely helpful bunch:)

Tags: